Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nanamae
new to computer posting,old to fresh water tanks.

I'am a retired lady and i've just about raised my kids. I demonstrated to my children the love of aquariums and 15 years ago had a 55 gal. tank. I raised african chiclids,jack dempseys to breeding size. We loved to watch them go after thier guppys, witch grew to gold fish. If we had not been moving I would have kept them through a couple of breeding cycles. I loved the taking care, and nurturing thing and it is time to fill my empty nest. I have fallen in love with a 60 gallon aquarium with it's own stand. With all the modern changes I'am so excited to get started. I've been researching and things have evolved quite nicely in the aquarium world. I would like to try live plants and raising some Discus. I will have alot of questions such as do you need a uv fliter as well as a protien skimmer? I was successful without these things but it was with the tough chiclid. I'am so excited to begin. I figure I'am 6 months away from having the Discus,but that's what will be so rewarding. All advice will be respected and put to good use.
So Hi everyone,looking forward to being a part of this family.
nanamae

Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome!! No skimmer needed for FW, that's a saltwater necessity. Start reading now if you want to keep Discus though, unless you've kept them before of course...

I would highly suggest researching the right canister filter to use. If you've been out of it for a while, like I was until 1/1/09, the canister is the way to go, gone is the undergravel filter. The hang-on-back (HOB for short) is still useful due to simplicity and ease, but canisters in my opinion offer better filtration and more options. Mine is a Marineland C-360 on my 55 which is heavily planted like this:

And stocked with 73 fish, mostly livebearers. It's getting a little crowded though, so I need to thin the herd!!! But the canister handles it great.

Also, for a planted tank, instead of activated carbon I use Seachem Purigen, google it, it's fantastic stuff. Removes dissolved organics (like carbon does) but has minimal impact on nutrients that plants need to grow. I use 500mL of it in my filter (which is 5x the recommended useage, but it last longer that way) plus it is rechargeable, so you can use it for a long time (years).

Also there have been great advances in lighting, the old T12 (1 inch diameter) fluorescent bulbs are now T8s and T5s or T5HO (high-output) and you need much less wattage to obtain higher light levels, and better plant growth.

Welcome to online posting, and AA. You picked the right site, tons of good advice here!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you i was reading and the whole protien skimmer just did not make any sence. now i know why. Fishless cycling is mandatory,but torture none the less.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe discus prefer a bare bottom tank, and your water has to be PERFECT to keep them. They are beautiful though!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

for breeding i believe i've seen bare bottom aquariums. I've seen some beautifuly planted tanks for nurturing them. thank you
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

welcom to AA
Old 02-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a friend who is a discus expert, I will ask him.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
I have a friend who is a discus expert, I will ask him.
You should get him to join AA lol
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think he is a member.

Tags
fresh, fresh water, sting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com