New to everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orange Oreo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So hello, I've just joined and I'm super happy to get help because I'm very New to taking care of fish and I'm New to the forum as you can see[emoji4]. My dad showed me how to take care of fish because he's had so much so I guess I just started to love it. The thing is I'm starting with very easy fish to take care of that I have researched so much about. My dad had completely different fish than me and used to help me when I was little so I dont know to much about tanks and fish. My dad has passed the tank over to me so I'm so excited to see what I can do.Im older now and will be taking care of all the fish now with my dad no longer helping me because he has teached me how to clean everything, how to work the heater and, feed the fish in right amounts and all that stuff, but like I said I have very different fish because in learning and he doesn't know much about the fish I have. So I hope some of you will be able to answer my questions. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.[emoji1] Have a great day!

Welcome! I started out just like you by taking over the family tank as a young teenager. Embrace the addiction, and learn everything you can. It's such a fun journey! What kind of fish are you keeping?

I have 4 Mollies and 1 black Moor. Im starting out easy and I know that they need completely different needs, but I have that under control. I've had goldfish in higher temps when my dad had fancy fish and they did perfect. I'm going to get guppies, sword tails, balloon mollies. Maybe I'll get a Platy but some people say they like to eat the slime off the Gold Fish. Is that true? I have 3 snails: Zebra, Tiger, and a Mystery snail. I'm hoping to get some other algae eaters. Is there any u recommend for a complete beginner? And also, last question? how many females would 1 male need for a guppy, swordtail, and balloon molly.

And thank u so much for welcoming me! And if u were wondering, my dad's fish had passed away. They were very old, one was 17 years. So the tank has no other fish but them.

Never mind about the Gold Fish, I moved her to a different tank so I could put more fish in with the mollies

Ok if anyone else is going to read this I have one more question: Is this a male or female Molly. I know that males have long fins but I dont see any pointy tip or anything. So I'm now questioning myself whether this is a male or female. Thank u so much to whoever answers this. ?

Attachments

• 20170727_174957.jpg
    20170727_174957.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 48
I can't help you on the sex of the fish, but welcome. Lots of helpful people in this forum. On the algae eaters, I think your safest bet will be Siamese Algae Eaters. Also, u always can do a Pleco. They are pretty rough on live plants though, if your going that route. I accidentally bought 2 Chinese algae eaters. Everything I read online says they are horrible and they will eat the slime off the fish. Iv had them 6 months or longer and no issues. Little algae as well, but they seem to leave all my fish alone. Those include a big gourami and two really big angles. They are many different ways to reach success in the hobby. Good luck and happy to help when I can.

Thank u so much for the information! I really appreciate it. Do u know anyone that can help me with finding out the gender?

Thank u so much for the information! I really appreciate it. Do u know anyone that can help me with finding out the gender?
Hi! I'm new to the forum as well. welcome ❤

I can't help you with the gender but out may help to make the question a post in the appropriate section to get the best answer.

I.e. in the freshwater section with its own headline along the lines of "HELP! Boy or girl Molly?" With as many angles as you can get off her/him. Its difficult deciding in person, yet alone from a picture. I just see this is a question in the comments of an introduction so most prolly only read the OP and not the comments.

Hope this helps! And I hope you can get a general idea of boy or girl cuz I honestly have no idea ?

Thank u so much ?. After I go to the catorgory Freshwater what do I pick next? Do I pick breeding because that's seems the closest one for finding out the gender?

Thank u so much ?. After I go to the catorgory Freshwater what do I pick next? Do I pick breeding because that's seems the closest one for finding out the gender?
Possibly! If I can't decide what category would get more hits I generally go towards the "freshwater general discussion" but the breeders page would definitely get some results, I think ?

O my gosh thank u so much! You are the best. Thank u so very much for replying to me so quickly, I really appreciate it. I hope u dont mind me befriending you/following u.[emoji4]

Ok if anyone else is going to read this I have one more question: Is this a male or female Molly. I know that males have long fins but I dont see any pointy tip or anything. So I'm now questioning myself whether this is a male or female. Thank u so much to whoever answers this. [emoji16]

I'd guess a female but would be good to have someone check that.

Possibly! If I can't decide what category would get more hits I generally go towards the "freshwater general discussion" but the breeders page would definitely get some results, I think ?
Of course i don't mind! I love meeting like minded individuals ? after all, that's why we came here, isn't it? Lol

Back
Top Bottom