New to EVERYTHING :) Advice/Critiques wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyhaitran

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello World! :)

My name is Danny and I am very new to the fish caring universe. I'll start my introducing myself I guess and then I'll give you all an overview of what I've done with my setup!
I've always had an interest in the observation of animals especially fish and inverts (slang I've seen at AA) but I never really understood how to take care of a tank so I finally thought, hey now that I'm adulting and making enough money to at least buy a tank, why don't I start now instead of fantasizing so I went to my LFS( another slang I found at AA :).

During my visit to the LFS, I was falling in love with all the fish that I could potentially have but I knew what I wanted, I've been looking at some of Takashi Amano's work and there is not other way I would want my tank to look. I knew i'm a newbie but I want to learn the way of Takashi ;) So I'll just go ahead and list some of the preliminary stuff I bought

Fluval Spec 5 gallon (19L)
LED Watts: 10 W
Number of LEDs: 37
Colour Temperature: 7000 K
Hours: 50 000
Pump Output: 210-300 L/h (55-80 US Gal/h)
Glass aquarium with cover
LED lighting system
Safe, low-voltage transformer
Circulation pump with output nozzle
Fluval foam filter block with handle
Fluval activated carbon insert
Fluval BioMax insert

-A bag of Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum Substrate
-Some beautiful rocks that I could not just leave behind
-Dwarf Hairgrass (enough to litter the base to create a carpet)
-Not sure about the other plants on the log (PLEASE ID FOR ME)
-Moss for the log
-The log
-API Master Test Kit (love it)
-Flourish Excel
-MICROBE-LIFT / Cycling & Water Conditioning Kit
◦1 pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Aquatic Stress Relief
◦1 pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Special Blend
◦1 pc. - 1 oz. MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II

Let me know if you guys have used these products and how you used it because what the owner of the LFS said was to
Day 1 - use all three
Day 2 - use the last 2
Day 3 - use the last 2 and bring back for water testing

So I brought everything home and I was so excited to start! I cleaned the tank out with tap water and wiped down the glass, added the substrate and created sort of a slope from front to back. cleaned the media filter and tested it. Flooded the tank and added the rocks. I added the plants after Day 3 of the tank running
I do hope for a full carpet and small miniature looking fish. Can I get suggestions on what you would add to this tank to bring it to life!

I'll keep everyone updated on what's going on! Cheers

-Danny

Attachments

• August 2nd 2016.jpg
    August 2nd 2016.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 118
Hi, welcome to the forum :) Tank looks nice, I like the placement of the rock.

Just an idle thought but were you space-constrained here on tank size or preference was for a small tank? I only ask as this can be a limit later on.

I dont have much space where i am. I do understand i would be better off getting a 30gallon but unfortunately the space is tight.

Thanks for the welcoming words!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont have much space where i am. I do understand i would be better off getting a 30gallon but unfortunately the space is tight.

Thanks for the welcoming words!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sadly I know the feeling :( Best of luck with the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom