New to Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idavis90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

So I just bought my first tank and fish and set it up according to the directions that came with the tank. I let it cycle through with the filter on for a day and then added my fish. Everything seems fine except for a few current issues that I think I posted in the freshwater getting started forum (although I don't see it yet). I'm hoping to learn more about fish and someday (when I have more apartment/house space) to own a much bigger tank with a wider variety of fish. I'm going through the noobie pitfalls thread now and reading up on what I probably should have done before buying anything. Lesson learned.

Hi, and welcome to AA! :welcome: Yeah, unfortunately that has happened to many of us here at the forum. But it's not too late to rectify. You may be able to return your fish to the store, until you get your tank cycled properly. And be sure to buy yourself an API Master freshwater test kit - the best investment you'll ever make for your fish. BTW, what size tank did you get, and what fish did you get?

We got a 10 gallon tank starter kit and a fantail goldfish.

Take the fantail back until your tank is properly cycled and then get something smaller! A fancy goldfish (such as a fantail) needs atleast 20 gallons. Goldfish are VERY messy fish! He will suffer if you try to keep him in a small, uncycled tank.

jlk said:
Take the fantail back until your tank is properly cycled and then get something smaller! A fancy goldfish (such as a fantail) needs atleast 20 gallons. Goldfish are VERY messy fish! He will suffer if you try to keep him in a small, uncycled tank.

I agree. There are several nano fish that would do well in a 10 gal as well as some nice centerpiece fish (like betta or dwarf gourami) that would be much better suited for a 10 gal setup

Back
Top Bottom