Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to Fish and Forums

Hi all,

I just wondered what would have happened if we had just not walked over to that stall at the fair! I think I would be $$ richer

But all joking aside, having several dogs and cats, and having rodents when younger, I am very into having pets in suitable environments depending on their needs (pet dogs, working dogs, indoor cats, barn cats etc) ...so when my baby "won" a fish at a carnival, I wanted to keep it in as best an environment for it. It was of course a tiny comet goldfish, then he got two brothers because he "isn't supposed to be lonely" - (thanks petstore guy! - of course he neglected to tell/ask/enquire about the tank size, fish size, cycling etc etc) ....So of course when Squishy went to fishy heaven a few days later, I heavily read up on it as I was very sad that Alice couldn't hoot at the fish in the tiny tank!!!

Now there is a 55 gallon tank starting a fishless cycle, eek!, it is going to be planted and currently there is sand and eco complete substrate in there with a piece of driftwood and a couple of ornaments. I have a fluval 306, and since I purchased the tank second hand, I am hoping to get some parts for the HOB that came with it ( or should I just dump that as I have no clue how old, what fish etc the guy has before me ), and then add that to add more turbulence to the water and get a little extra filtration.

The fish I currently have are still in the 10 gallon tank, 2 fancies and a tiny albino BN pleco. That tank has a couple of water wisteria and a 20g HOB... I am just hoping they can survive the time until the big tank is ready.

Unfortunately, I think they all have ick. Just over the past few days the pH of my water has plummeted. It started at 8.4 and held there for about 3 weeks, and then jsut started plummeting. I have tried to clean the gravel, do water changes ( about 30% daily) but it still gets lower.
I have well water which when first tested was high 8.4, but its well water, so when I tested it yesterday it was 7.6.
I have a feeling it is the bioload and the fact that the gravel just never seems to be able to get clean as I am always pulling caca out of there but I wasn't sure what to do now that they seem to have ick.

My considerations were putting them in a hospital tank which I could heat and there is a piece of mopani wood that I was trying to leach tanins out of for the pleco (yes hubby brought home this great algae eater!), and there is no substrate....then I was going to heat the current home and do 90% water changes and maybe just throw out the gravel? (its blue gravel). I tested the water for the small tank and it is currently pH 6.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0.25 and nitrates 5...

sorry if its all jumbled information. I just am completely at a loss with fish.. in truth when I went to the lFS the saltwater fish freaked me out... especially that cow fish!! So I have a huge learning curve to get through....

thanks all, my lurking ( well googling stuff like " goldfish tank size") led me here!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Happy you've joined!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the Aquarium Advice family!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA! Glad to see your doing LOTS of research . If they have ich I wouldn't move them raise the temp up to 86 degrees and clean the gravel as best as you can. You'll probably need to do 25% water changes every other day to keep the water stable. At least till you can get the 55g going. With well water it can be a little tricky at times. I have to leave a trash can full of water out till my ph drops from 9.0 or more to 8.2 to be able to use it. The best way to tell is leave a glass of water out for 24 hours and re test the ph to see if it drops. Also I wanted to add the filter you was given will be fine just clean it up good and look into another bigger one. More is always better especially with goldfish that have HUGE bio loads. I think I got all your questions so welcome again and hope to see ya around more good luck
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Andrew.

I have so started as you suggested...though now I'm worried I turned it up too fast.... Well they didn't seem too bothered by it. I am hoping the reduced volume in the tank and the air stone will help with O2. I've also just started to add a little salt as I was told that helps too. I've been doing a daily change as the ammonia and nitrites do seem to creep up more these days.... Is there any advantage to adding a couple more plants as during the work week I may not be able to get to do a water change as frequently.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPMurph
Thanks Andrew.

I have so started as you suggested...though now I'm worried I turned it up too fast.... Well they didn't seem too bothered by it. I am hoping the reduced volume in the tank and the air stone will help with O2. I've also just started to add a little salt as I was told that helps too. I've been doing a daily change as the ammonia and nitrites do seem to creep up more these days.... Is there any advantage to adding a couple more plants as during the work week I may not be able to get to do a water change as frequently.
You can add them whenever it won't hurt a thing. If anything it will help your water quality
Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi and welcome! Just so I am clear, you have two fancy goldfish in 10g? Is the pleco in there as well? Are you positive they have ich? How do your water parameters look right now? Heat works well for treating ich but its not recommended for goldfish. The high temps needed to treat it are fine for tropicals but cause thermal stress in goldfish which are coldwater fish. I would suggest only treating with salt (.3%). Salt needs to be premeasured & predissolved in treated water & added gradually over 48hrs. Frequent water changes/grav vacs are a must- only add back the salt you remove (ie, 50%wc, add back half original dose predissolved). Maintain this for one week after the last spot is gone. Ill post a link with more information on goldfish and their care- please ask if you have any questions!!!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfi...-11174823.html

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« NEW | Am new »