Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to fish keeping and now I read this from PETA.

Hi,

I've just been into the fish habit for about a month and a half with a 36g bowfront that should just about be cycled fully soon. I have 4 guppies and 2 platys in there right now (started with Tetra SafeStart).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the fish (as have my kids) and find it extremely cathartic, but have just come across this article from PETA suggesting keeping fish is cruel.

9 Reasons Why Fish Are Really Sad 'Pets' | Companion Animals| Living | PETA

Now I'm feeling a mix of guilt and annoyance. I am assuaging my guilt by convincing myself that by keeping guppies, mollies and platys, all of which are available in abundance in nature, as well as keeping the aquarium clean and stable, most of what is mentioned there does not apply to what I'm doing.

Annoyed at statements like "Do not support shops like Petsmart that put profits first". If there is a big business that puts profit second, I've still to meet one. And if profitable businesses are to be avoided, then I hope the author of that article never fills a tank of gas and takes his/her cycle everywhere instead.

Thoughts people?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.rajaram View Post
Hi,

I've just been into the fish habit for about a month and a half with a 36g bowfront that should just about be cycled fully soon. I have 4 guppies and 2 platys in there right now (started with Tetra SafeStart).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the fish (as have my kids) and find it extremely cathartic, but have just come across this article from PETA suggesting keeping fish is cruel.

9 Reasons Why Fish Are Really Sad 'Pets' | Companion Animals| Living | PETA

Now I'm feeling a mix of guilt and annoyance. I am assuaging my guilt by convincing myself that by keeping guppies, mollies and platys, all of which are available in abundance in nature, as well as keeping the aquarium clean and stable, most of what is mentioned there does not apply to what I'm doing.

Annoyed at statements like "Do not support shops like Petsmart that put profits first". If there is a big business that puts profit second, I've still to meet one. And if profitable businesses are to be avoided, then I hope the author of that article never fills a tank of gas and takes his/her cycle everywhere instead.

Thoughts people?
Rule #1 - Dont ever listen or read anything from PETA. They have more issues than Playboy magazine. They are basically a cult.

Rule #2 - See Rule #1

Old 01-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I love how they use banggai cardinals as an example. A commonly bred very popular fish. In fact they are one of the easier fish to breed in the salt water hobby and many are tank raised.

Next they use a lion fish as an example of a fish that is "stolen" from the wild. The fish that has single handedly caused more damage to the florida reefs than the entire aquarium industry.

These people are nuts.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think they have a lot of valid arguments....ie the truth behind animals in the circus or seaworld but they do go to extremes...
I don't think they are nuts but devoted to a cause and maybe they take it a little too far in some aspects
Fish keeping is a great hobby and if you're good at it hopefully no fish are hurt...it's giving your kids a look at "life" and keeping them from the tv! How could that be wrong? 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do like that they point out 2.5g per betta
Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

News for PETA

1. Animals eat animals

2. Nobody cares.

Surfnturf

2 discus
1 dwarf gourami
1 german blue ram
2 golden wonder killifish
4 harlequin rasboras
5 corydoras
And a bunch of plants in a 20 long
Eheim 2213 and tom aquatics canister filters
Finnex planted plus
Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like that they mention fish stolen from the wild and then slam fish bred on farms ???

So being against over collection I get. But then also being against captive breeding ?

Silly stuff.

Yes, I do care for my fish. They are more than breathing decorations.
Which is why I stock appropriate fish for my size tank. I always buy CB when I can. I discourage newbies from buying and killing less common more sensitive species. Like Denison Barbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
These people are nuts.
This is the consensus of anyone involved with ethical animal husbandry, regardless of the species.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

It's hard to take a group seriously when they do things like this PETA seeks memorial where 1,600 pounds of fish died in Irvine - Los Angeles Times
Old 01-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol I feel sorry for those fish, but then again they would have died anyway when they end up, severed in half without heads, on someones plate. Just saying, they were going to die anyway.

Nils

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com