New to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnanna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I'm John and I have some fish. hehehe. Seriously though, I had an aquarium going for a couple of months now. Still trying to get it going right though. I have a 10 gal. tank, a 2-10 gal whisper filter, heater and all of that stuff. There are two Mollies, one larger guppy, and three smaller guppies. I don't think the tank is cycling right as the ammonia is high and I can't seem to get it down. I change the water (about 50% water change) and it goes down a little but it goes right back up in a day or so. Ammonia about 1.0 or almost 2.0, nitrates almost 0 and no reading on nitrites. I have an API test kit for ammonia and nitrates, but not the nitrites yet. I just tonight put a new filter in with some Ammo-carb as well. We feed the fish only a very little bit once a day. Almost nothing gets to the bottom and the fish seem to pick it up then. I was thinking of going to my LFS and asking for a jump start for the bacteria. An old filter or something. I hope this has been thorough enough. God bless.

Seems like you're doing everything right. cycling a tank takes patience. Getting some filter media from your LFS though is also a great idea and can really make your life easier.

Back
Top Bottom