Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Yep. What can happen is the fish is growing normally and, as the fish grows, it's waste output increases dirtying the water more between water changes. The frequency and amount of water changes is the same (because it worked before) but there is more waste. More waste = more nitrates and TDS resulting in the stunting of the fish. I am a strong believer in having fish in an adequate home, based on their expected adult size, from the beginning to avoid an issue like this altogether. Of course upgrading as a fish grows works also but you have to be careful to say on top of your water conditions and increase tank size as needed.
Ahhh, makes sense. I also believe fish need to be kept in an adequate home to keep them in tip top shape and give them space to grow. I feel that they should be given respect to the point they are given a tank larger enough to provide edaquate swimming room too. How awful it must be to be a large fish crammed in a small "container".
Thank you for explaining what really causes stunting. I will have to pass this info on to my mom so maybe she'll leave me alone about adding bala sharks to my tanks. I told her awhile back what size tank they need and she won't listen because "in her experience" with a single specimen, "it worked". I never have agreed with her...poor thing must have been so depressed.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

can you put goldfish in tropical tanks?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regz8000 View Post
can you put goldfish in tropical tanks?
Some people do, but goldfish appreciate cooler temps. They will look better, be happier and more active in water they can "breath in" if you know what I mean. Also, I believe I remember reading somewhere that increased temperature speeds up the goldfishes biorhythm which will shorten their life quite a bit.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thought I'd add that there are "cool" water fish that can be with goldfish. But, goldfish do produce tons of waste and you would have to be extremely diligent with gravel vacs and water changes to avoid killing the other fish. For the most part, the fish that could potentially co-exist with goldfish will not make it long if the water is not kept perfectly clean. Also, another thing to remember is goldfish grow large and they do it fast! They do and will eat any fish that it can get in it's mouth! They move quickly and "eat" before looking to see what they are taking in their mouths.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

i got rid of my goldfish,gonna focus on my new 12g turtle setup
i put play sand in as the substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com