Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to forums, and aquariums!

Hey there!
I'm asnyds, and I'm new to both forums and aquariums.

I've never maintained an aquarium by myself and I've decided to start one, I'm getting either a 40, or 55 gallon tank in the next few days from my uncle.

I have a lot of ideas for my aquarium and have done good research on fish available in my area.

My community idea right now is as follows -

Von Rio flame tetra - 4

Black phantom tetra - 3

Two-three weeks later I'm going to add in

Either - 2 of the smaller growing pleco OR 2 dwarf Cory catfish.
Also at that time I'm going to add one golden dojo loach for show (:

Also I plan on themeing the tank to a fantasy type thing in the future. I'm starting it with black gravel and a mix of red and green faux plants, and then two or 3 big decorations I saw at a local store - a nice sized castle, and a large fanged skull. After that I may add 3-4 glo tetra and some neon gravel to highlight in the black gravel. Only doing that if I decide to get the light that makes the glo tetra and neons really pop.

Open to any and all suggestions!
Buying fish is only a few weeks away! (:

Asnyds

Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
First of all, u need to do all the "new fish tank" cycles. Let the tank run ( fishless ) for a week or more. Test ur water every day and once the water levels r at normal range, then u can add fish. Do not add fish until u have finished the cycles.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If u want to get the cories or loach, I recommend getting sand instead of gravel. Gravel can and will scratch/cut the bottom of these bottom dwelling fish, causing infections and death. Gravel may work but u must make sure not to get any sharp gravel pieces.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would only get 1 Pleco. However u can get two if the species can live together without aggressiveness when full grown.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome!

Bristlenose Plecos are friendly to each other. They come in different kinds, like albino, brown, red, long fin, short fin and also some with blue eyes!

There are a few other that stay small I have heard but not had, so check out before taking my word on it, lol! Bulldog Pleco and Clown Pleco.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Look It Up

Welcome to AA! This guide should help some with your questions: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Welcome!

Bristlenose Plecos are friendly to each other. They come in different kinds, like albino, brown, red, long fin, short fin and also some with blue eyes!

There are a few other that stay small I have heard but not had, so check out before taking my word on it, lol! Bulldog Pleco and Clown Pleco.
Yup. I have heard that bristle nose plecos r friendly to each other and other fish. Clown plecos r another great choice as they only get 4" max

Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks a ton! I looked through the things you mentioned (about plecos and fishless cycle)
I was already going to have a fishless cycle for 1-2 weeks as it was but I hadn't known about the ammonia>nitrite>nitrate bio filter.. I'm going out to buy the things I need tomorrow, after I get the tank.

By the way I found out which of the tanks he is giving me! A 45gallon corner tank and a stand!

Would it look bad if it isn't in a corner..? Hahah

Anyways, are there any suggestions on anything slightly showy that will do well in my community to replace the dojo loach?

Thanks!
Asnyds
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnyds View Post
Thanks a ton! I looked through the things you mentioned (about plecos and fishless cycle)
I was already going to have a fishless cycle for 1-2 weeks as it was but I hadn't known about the ammonia>nitrite>nitrate bio filter.. I'm going out to buy the things I need tomorrow, after I get the tank.

By the way I found out which of the tanks he is giving me! A 45gallon corner tank and a stand!

Would it look bad if it isn't in a corner..? Hahah

Anyways, are there any suggestions on anything slightly showy that will do well in my community to replace the dojo loach?

Thanks!
Asnyds
Do u want another loach, fish, or decor that looks showy?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A fish or a loach, it doesn't matter as long as it will be friendly with the tetras..

Are there any frogs/crustaceans that could be in with them perhaps?

Really anything! I have tons of time to change the stocking plan right now, any ideas are welcome!
You could even give me a whole new plan if you'd like to put one out for me (:

I'm getting a 45gallon corner, and have made a budget of 40$ for my fish. Plants/decor will come with the tank, going to choose what I want and then clean them (properly). But I am buying new substrate for sure.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com