Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I get my betta I'm going to find the sickest one and nurse it back to health. It's horrible how big chain stores have them in little cups with no food or clean water!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bubbles! My icon picture is my fish

Yes, I agree that it is awful... PetCo has a ton of them. The other pet stores I have seen don't have as many as PetCo though, which is good. I got him at PetCo. We weren't going to get a fish that day, but, I fell in love with him when I saw him. So I had to get him. He had just come in that day, so he was a nice healthy boy

Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My first betta was a blue veil tail named bubbles! I was 11 I think when I got him! Petco is where I plan to get my new betta since usually they have pretty unhealthy fish and I want to save one. Have you ever seen the betas labeled as baby beta? I want one so I will get to spend more time with it versus one that's already 6-10 months old.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aww that's awesome! It's a good name for him, he's quite the little bubble-nest maker And he makes little bubbles randomly sometimes too.

Yes I have. The person there that we chatted with when I got him was saying how they are a bit harder to care for at first. I thought it was a different betta sub-species at first LOL didn't realize it was actually a young betta... LOL

I would love to rescue some betta fish, but I haven't the space or time or $ to invest in getting more than one betta unfortunately. There were 6 at WalMart I saw a few times when we went... they looked so sad and I wanted to take them home.... I hope water is changed daily in those little cups that places put them in. And in winter time... they need heat, I worry about that too I wish I could help them all! And I wish places would become educated on betta fish and their needs vs the myths that never go away!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

poor poor bettas! We should start a betta rescue organization!!!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a good idea!

Also, educating people, family, friends, coworkers, etc... especially people who have fish or have had fish... educate them! And encourage them to educate others as well! There is too much mis information out there about lots of fish and fish care, not just betta fish. People need to do the best they can to teach others
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes very true! There's a YouTube channel called solid gold. The lady on that channel seems very nice and is very knowledgeable about goldfish. She is making a huge difference in how the community is caring for goldfish.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is fantastic! Too many goldfish are put into too small homes, just like betta fish are often put into too small homes.

Goldfish need I think MINIMUM 30 gallons and that is like just one fish needs that. I could be wrong about that size, that may be too small, but, they definitely need a lot of space. If I had any, I would do at least a 50g tank. It makes me so upset to think of them in little 1 or 2 gallon bowls. Ugh. So inappropriate. Goldfish, when properly cared for, can live a good 15-20 years or even more!

But I don't think we'll do anything larger than the 10gallon we are starting for quite a while! We also don't have much room, so, that is a factor as well. A 10 gallon is perfect for us and what we want to do with it.

Maybe a 20 gallon some day...
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

New to having fish and happy to have a betta fish

Are you going to get tank mates for bubbles? Can you post a picture of him since your profile picture is too small to see detail? If you've heard of elephant eared betta that's the kind I'm wanting to get. I heard bad things about rose tail and feather tail betta... Anyone care to clear up those rumors or to agree with them?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 09-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

We will get some pygmy cory cat fish at some point soon!

Sure, I can send you a picture sometime! The larger versions are kind of hard to make out sometimes though :/

Oh cute! The cup labeled him as a "butterfly male" but looking at pictures of different bettas leads me to believe he was either that or something else (can't remember the name at the moment).

I don't know about the answer to what you asked though. I hope someone else chimes in

Tags
app, betta, betta fish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« introduction | hi »