new to here and somewhat a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. My name is aaron. I am new to this forum and somewhat new to the hobby. I had a pretty sucessfull 20 gallon tall tank for around 6 months if not longer. I have since upgraded to a 46 gallon bowfront marineland. I hope everyone is ready for this list! I have in it a penguin 350 bio filter, 100 watt heater, 6 inch airstone, a bubbling treasure chest on its own air supply, 1 pictus cat, 1 banjo cat, 1 pleco, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 redtail black shark, 2 guppies (1 fry), 2 swordtails, 2 moons, 2 variatus, 2 koi angelfish, 1 marble veiltail angelfish, 1 reg angelfish, 1 dragon scale betta, 1 ghost shrimp, and 1 albino african frog. Any comments on my community or how many fish I have? Too many, good, or too few? Please ask if u have any questions. Critics don't bother me any! I am in the process right now of clearing ick from my tank. Its going good

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120426_154029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120426_154029.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20120426_154058.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120426_154058.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 58
aaronjohn20 said:
Hi everyone. My name is aaron. I am new to this forum and somewhat new to the hobby. I had a pretty sucessfull 20 gallon tall tank for around 6 months if not longer. I have since upgraded to a 46 gallon bowfront marineland. I hope everyone is ready for this list! I have in it a penguin 350 bio filter, 100 watt heater, 6 inch airstone, a bubbling treasure chest on its own air supply, 1 pictus cat, 1 banjo cat, 1 pleco, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 redtail black shark, 2 guppies (1 fry), 2 swordtails, 2 moons, 2 variatus, 2 koi angelfish, 1 marble veiltail angelfish, 1 reg angelfish, 1 dragon scale betta, 1 ghost shrimp, and 1 albino african frog. Any comments on my community or how many fish I have? Too many, good, or too few? Please ask if u have any questions. Critics don't bother me any! I am in the process right now of clearing ick from my tank. Its going good

Welcome to AA!
I will say your tank is inappropriately stocked at the moment. I noticed in your picture your fish are still young so you have some time to either rehome, upgrade again or start another tank. :)

Pictus and banjo cat should be fine in the 46g but I don't have personal experience with them.
Common pleco? They are expected to reach 18 inches to 2 feet long. Because of this they ideally need a 125g tank just to allow the fish adequate room to turn around. A smaller option is a bristlenose pleco. They only reach 5-6inches.
The rainbow and the red tail sharks pose a proplem. Both are semi aggressive and require a 55g tank each. As they mature they are going to have territorial deputes. It's best to only keep one per tank.
The variatus, swordtails and guppies are fine but the catfish may eat them and the angels may eat the guppies.
4 angels is going to cause issue as they mature. Not only to they get very large (1foot high) but they can get aggressive when mature and spawning. I would suggest 1 or 2 for your tank at the most.
Watch the Betta closely. He might have issues with the guppys long flowing tail. As the angels mature be aware them and the Betta may disagree. Make sure the filter isn't making him struggle to swim and he has a calm area of surface water to take a breath from.
IMO dwarf frings don't belong in community tanks. If the tank is too deep they can drown. They can also be out competed for food quite easily. They don't see very well so make sure you hand feed him so he gets enough food.

Hope this helps.

Right now the betta gets along with everyone with no problems what so ever from him and the current isn't too strong for him. He doesn't mess with the guppies. They are reg guppies not fancy guppies. I don't mind the pictus eating the smaller fish, its a way of life but he doest harrass any of the fish. The frog isn't a dwarf frog. He is a albino african frog and he gets fed enough. Do the koi angelfish get as big as all the others do? Really the only problems I am having at the moment is the male swordtail. He nips at the fins of the angelfish and I think he is the one that is messing with my pictus. His one whisker isn't straight and free flowing like the other is. Kinda looks like it has been nipped at. Thanks for all the info and critics. Oh and yes it is a common pleco. Maybe I will do some trading or something. The angelfish don't really concern me right now cause they aren't too big yet and that'll give me time to get another tank or a bigger one.

Sorry, African dwarf frog. :) If you have a clawed frog they can get massive and eat fish. Koi angels will get the same size as the others. As I said, you've got time to upgrade and shuffle fish. You are aware of the risks and their sizes so you can make plans for the future.

Yeah I guess it is a clawed frog. The store we got him from had it labeled as an albino african frog. Guess I will have to tell the wife that her frog (kermit, go figure) is gonna get put into his own tank. Thanks for all the help. I am currently trying to rehome the male red swordtail to solve my current problem. I just caught him trying to nip at my sunset variatus so I suspect its him and not my sharks that are bothering my pictus. Thanks once again

Back
Top Bottom