New To It All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shmags

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there Aquarium fans,
1 week ago I purchased my first tank, a 70L or 18 Gallon Fresh water tank.
Yesterday, I put in three "dwarf gold sucker fish" Sorry, I don't know their real name. And two "powder blue Gourami".
The sucker fish seem to hit the tank like they were meant to be there, straight to sucking they went. But one of the Gouramis has tears in his fins. I'm pretty sure the other Gourami has done this, whether it be in my tank or at the shop, as they were both in the same tank there.
The Gouramis are not "fighting" as such, just seems that one is more dominant than the other, and "nips" at him. I have looked them up, and they are both males, should the person at the aquarium shop have known this and told me?
Thanks in advance, I will probably be posting a lot here to learn as I go.
Shmags.

Welcome to AA! Your tank being so new will not be cycled. You will need to get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good master fresh water kit. Also be prepared to do lots of water changes as you will be cycling with fish to keep ammonia and nitrite to as close to 0ppm as possible. Here are a couple of articles that will help you to understand the cycling process and how to deal with it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/37/1/New-Tank-Syndrome-/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html

New Tank News

Thanks for that,
I have already purchased a Master kit online, should have it in two days.
I have been reading about the cycles, and am learning every day.
Regards,
Shmags.

I have two Gouramis, both males, On blue and one gold. I noticed that the blue one will nip at the gold one all the time. So I made sure to make plenty of hiding places for him to hide. All seems fine now, since he can take to hiding in the rocks and plants.

Thanks for the reply,
I should just let them nip then..

Welcome to the site! I would start posting specific questions in the FW getting started. You will get more experienced answers.

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom