Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootsHooligan

I didn't even know there were differnt kinds of pygmy corys, so I am not sure what kind these were, they were just labeled as "Pygmy Cory". The gravel I have isn't HUGE its pretty average sized. Does it effect regular sized corys any less? Could a few normal sized corys be okay in the ten gallon?
Well you have about 3 different kinds of Pygmy corys. Corydoras pygmaeus, corydoras Habrosus, and another kind that I am drawing a blank on. Habrosus look and act like normal corys. They swim in the bottom and scour for food. They are a brown color with black dots down them. Pygmaeus are a little different in behavior as they like to swim in the middle and they tend to scour for food on plant leaves. They are a silverish grey with a black line down the middle. I'll have to go look up the last but you generally don't see them so it's probably not them. If it is pygmaeus then I think you will be fine with gravel as they don't necessarily spend too much time on the bottom for food.

As for the normal size, I personally think it would be fine. But generally you wanna keep 3+ corys at a time so keep that in mind. Corys can be very long lived too. My friend has had some bronze corys for at least 10 years.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wow 10 years is a long time. I think it was a pygmaeus I saw, cause of the spots and it was on the bottom looking for food. Thanks for all the information it's been super helpful!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootsHooligan
Wow 10 years is a long time. I think it was a pygmaeus I saw, cause of the spots and it was on the bottom looking for food. Thanks for all the information it's been super helpful!
Yeah! I mean I have yet to have a Cory to live as long but I haven't been keeping fish quite as long as he has. And no problem! Many people here are happy to help. Just remember to always research your fish before bringing it home and you will doing great things in no time!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com