Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation New To Marine Aquarium

HI there this is Gary from the Uk, recently set up 50 Gallon marine tank, but getting inpatient. Also Unshore why I am getting Brown colouring all over my ocean rock and live rock? Read its probably Diatom Algae? but unsure when and if this will go. I beleive th etank is still cycling? as Nitrate levell are high, Nitrites are high but amonia is very low or if not 0.
I have done a pratial water change, and added sme chemicals to lower nitrate. But as thisis all new, not sure how long it will take.
After about 2-3 days the Tank looked very cleana nd clear, water is still clear but it just looks like rust as apeared everywher in the last few days.

I ahve added asmall uv, Protein skimmer is working ok, but cicking quite a bit of fam out at the top, not sure if this is normall?

Sorry about all the question, and sounding very unsure!! I guess we have all started here, appreciate any help and advice. Thank you in advance. Gary
oi

Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

the diatoms/brown stuff will pass. All new tanks go thru that. Also, stay away from added chemicals IMO. Wait until the nitrates get to zero and do another pwc and add some cleanup crew.

Not sure you need the UV now either.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Diatoms usually go away after a couple months. Normally you dont want to add chemicals to your water if at all possible.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tthanks Ray fro prompt reply, Does the rock start to chage colour eventually? ie; go back to origionall, or will it strat to grow things itself? Thank you.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The rock will likely look different than it did at the beginning and of course, different from the diatom laden form its in now. It will grow coraline algae. Purple. And maybe some things that did not completely die off will start to grow back. Never know what you're gonna see. That's part of the fun as you see new things growing on the rock over time. I'll see if I can find some pics of my before and after rock shots.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Couldn't find a good comparison. But check out the purple stuff. Regular water changes and a bit of time (months) your rock will grow stuff like that and won't look so boring. Remember, no additives water changes and decent lighting is all you need IMO.

This pic was taken maybe a few months after my diatoms dissapeared. Notice the yellowish residue? It'll get better.

What kinda lights ya got? how long are they on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new tank stuff Oct 2006 015.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	14114  

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site. I would not add any other chemicals either.
As a general rule, don't add things to your tank that you don't have the proper test kits for.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

All good advice above. Do not add any more chemicals or do another pwc till the cycle is over. That should be soon. When Ammonia and nitrite are ZERO and nitrate is falling then do a 30% or so pwc. Regular partail water cahnges are all most tanks need. The first year is amazing for what you see one day that wasn't there the day before.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I meant nitrItes in the first post. Not Nitrates. The 'trites at zero means your cycle is complete.

Tags
marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com