New To Marine Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GARYDECOR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI there this is Gary from the Uk, recently set up 50 Gallon marine tank, but getting inpatient. Also Unshore why I am getting Brown colouring all over my ocean rock and live rock? Read its probably Diatom Algae? but unsure when and if this will go. I beleive th etank is still cycling? as Nitrate levell are high, Nitrites are high but amonia is very low or if not 0.
I have done a pratial water change, and added sme chemicals to lower nitrate. But as thisis all new, not sure how long it will take.
After about 2-3 days the Tank looked very cleana nd clear, water is still clear but it just looks like rust as apeared everywher in the last few days.

I ahve added asmall uv, Protein skimmer is working ok, but cicking quite a bit of fam out at the top, not sure if this is normall?

Sorry about all the question, and sounding very unsure!! I guess we have all started here, appreciate any help and advice. Thank you in advance. Gary :cool:
oi

the diatoms/brown stuff will pass. All new tanks go thru that. Also, stay away from added chemicals IMO. Wait until the nitrates get to zero and do another pwc and add some cleanup crew.

Not sure you need the UV now either.

Diatoms usually go away after a couple months. Normally you dont want to add chemicals to your water if at all possible.

Tthanks Ray fro prompt reply, Does the rock start to chage colour eventually? ie; go back to origionall, or will it strat to grow things itself? Thank you.

The rock will likely look different than it did at the beginning and of course, different from the diatom laden form its in now. It will grow coraline algae. Purple. And maybe some things that did not completely die off will start to grow back. Never know what you're gonna see. That's part of the fun as you see new things growing on the rock over time. I'll see if I can find some pics of my before and after rock shots.

Couldn't find a good comparison. But check out the purple stuff. Regular water changes and a bit of time (months) your rock will grow stuff like that and won't look so boring. Remember, no additives water changes and decent lighting is all you need IMO.

This pic was taken maybe a few months after my diatoms dissapeared. Notice the yellowish residue? It'll get better.

What kinda lights ya got? how long are they on?

Attachments

• new tank stuff Oct 2006 015.jpg
    new tank stuff Oct 2006 015.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the site. I would not add any other chemicals either.
As a general rule, don't add things to your tank that you don't have the proper test kits for.

All good advice above. Do not add any more chemicals or do another pwc till the cycle is over. That should be soon. When Ammonia and nitrite are ZERO and nitrate is falling then do a 30% or so pwc. Regular partail water cahnges are all most tanks need. The first year is amazing for what you see one day that wasn't there the day before.

Back
Top Bottom