New to owning an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessTamara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone. I am new to owning an aquarium. I do have a mating pair of freshwater angel fish. They are very aggressive, with humans and other fish alike. I rescued these Angels from a family who just didnt have time for them. I received a 10 gallon tank, and the research I have done, says they need to be in at least a 20 gallon, so I am on the look out for a 20 or 30 gallon. The previous owner said that they could not have any other fish in the tank with them, as they have killed everything they have tried, but I think that is because they had them in such small quarters. So there are all kinds of things I dont know about fish tanks, fish or really anything to do with the underwater world. I know how to take care of a basic betta fish, but that is the only fish I have owned previously, and I am told they are very much the same in taking care of them. I do have some questions about PH levels and about the test kits and whatnot. I was given a test kit with my set up, but the instructions were too damaged, I can not read them at all. So I need to know how many drops of this chemical dye stuff do I put into the test tube of aquarium water?? I know I have a lot to learn, so I am here to learn from those that have done this before. :fish1::fish2::thanks:

Great!!! Welcome!! Id suggest a 30 g tank for the angels, and maybe some larger tank mates that wouldnt get eaten! Now what tests were you wondering about? Is it an api master fw test kit? Good luck!

first off grats on the Angels, they are awesome fish. They will definitely need the bigger tank. I keep mine with a Birstlenose pleco & a small gourami and they did well together. There was a red tailed shark in the tank when he was little, but he's moved into our larger tank now.

Welcome to AA!

:welcome:

If I were you, I'd invest $23 and get a new API master kit. You don't know that the kit you were given hasn't expired, or is complete, etc.

I would also suggest a tank no smaller than 30 gallons for the angels.

I will ditto Lynda...get yourself a new API test kit. That way you know you have good reagents and the instructions on how to do the tests and how to read the results.

Angels need larger tanks due to their height moreso than due to their size. As others have indicated, try and find a 30g.

Angels prefer a lower pH anywhere in the range between 5.0 and 7.0, however, a mid-range around 6.2 is a good range so make sure when you get other fish that the new ones can exist in the same range. It doesn't do to have fish that like a higher pH live with fish that like a lower pH...you run into health problems or even if the fish remain "healthy" they won't do as well as they could.

Once you get your new kit or can get your LFS to test for you, two things. First, if you are using tap water you need to determine the natural pH level...not all water has a standard 7.0. For example, my tap water has starting pH of 8.4 so if I were to use tap water, I would have had to buffer it like crazy to get down to the 7.2 I needed. Due to that, I went with LFS RO water to get the 7.0 pH but then had to add the supplements to get the good stuff back in that freshwater fish prefer...referred to as RO Right. For those using RO water with a saltwater tank, the salt mix provides back the minerals needed..freshwater RO doesn't and needs the supplement.

Freshwater was a major hassle for me so I gave it up and went with saltwater since I can get pre-mixed saltwater for less than what it would cost me to "make" my own.

Hey thanks guys. I had done some research on the fish and knew what the ph needed to be at, they are coming from a high ph level and are transitioning just fine in the lower one as it stands. The kit I got is new, not expired, just the instructions got wet when it first got here, lol, darn kids, all excited about the new pet. And it is just a basic nutrifin test kit, but its from the higher ph, so a new kit is what is needed. so i will be grabbing that. and I found a 30 gallon tank and they will be moving into it when i move into my new place at the end of the month, just no room here with my roommates 3 fish tanks and my lil 10 gallon. lol. and all that is needed is a light and filter system for the tank, and i am sure i can get those at any fish store?? lol. I appreciate the advice and i am sure i will be on here again for more soon enough.

Hi PrincessTamara, and welcome to the AA forum! :welcome: You have come to the right forum to learn all about fishkeeping from people who have vast experience, to even some, like me, not so much. I can give you a link to get you started in learning the basics: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html. My advice is to read these articles before putting your fish into a new tank, and you'll save yourself a lot of work and heartache. They will tell you how to cycle a new tank, and since you already have one, you will be able to use something from the old tank to kickstart the new one into a cycle. It will hardly take any time at all, IME. Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Back
Top Bottom