new to reefing but not saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shimergloom26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I'm about to start my very first reef tank and just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been into fish and animals for as long as I can remember. I also was part owner in a pet shop where we specialized in fresh water aquariums and birds but due to the economic downturn we had to close. My experience in saltwater consists of a 29 gallon Fowler tank a few years back. I plan on setting up the same tank as a reef. I am very excited to get this tank started at the end of this month. So with that being said any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Welcome to the forum!

I started my saltwater obsession with a 29g reef, the size is just right for an entry level reef in my opinion. :)

As far as advice, try to use ro/di water from the very start and see if you can invest in a refractometer (about $30 on ebay) to test for salinity. I'd also suggest getting a good test kit, such as the API saltwater master kit as you will need it for cycling and for diagnosing any issues that may arise.

What types of corals were you thinking of getting? What type and kinds of equipment do you have already?

I'm going to try to stick with softies and lps for the time being. I really don't want to get into the stony corals until I have the tank running for about a year. As far as equipment goes the only thing I have is the tank. I plan on getting a 4 x 24w t5 light from ebay, 2 maxi jet 400 power heads, API saltwater and reef test kits, refractometer from ebay, io reef crystals(160g bucket), 35 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. I forgot that I have a small power filter that I will also be using. Not sure of the size or flow rate. Also I have a 100w heater. If I need anything else feel free to let me know.
I do have a few questions. When cycling the tank can I just leave my lights off? Also am I suppose to do a water change during the cycle or wait until the end and do it then? I know I am suppose to do top offs during the cycle but I'm confused about the water changes.

You would keep your lights off during the cycle, nothing to really see. lol

No water changes until the end of your cycle, after the ammonia and nitrites hit 0 and the nitrates are super high you will want to do a large water change(s) to get them down before stocking with any fish or inverts.

That's what I was thinking on the lights and water changes. Thanks for the info.

I have a purchase question. A lfs has live cured rock for 4.00 a pound and dry rock for 2.00 and 3.00 a pound. I was wondering if this is a good price or should I be worried about it? I have not looked at the rock but I will be going to purchase some this weekend. Also can the rock be cured in the tank for a few days without alot of flow or do I need to get my powerheads before I get my rock? I have a small power filter I can run until my powerheads come in would this be OK.

4.00 would be a cheap price in my area but it all depends on what kind of live rock. Stores around here seem to range from about 5-12 a pound depending on if it's base rock or premium

Well my tank is started now I'm waiting for the cycle to begin. I will be posting a thread for it later tonight so people can see my progress.

Back
Top Bottom