New to Salt tanks and need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielhr626

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am fairly new to salt tanks. I had a 29 gallon biocube for 2 years and have just upgraded to a Red Sea Max E-170. I purchased a hydor auto top-off, but the hydor pump (Pico 1200, 300 gph, 8 watts) isn't strong enough to pump the fresh water to the tank. Can anyone suggest a pump that would work well with the Hydor top off in a 43 gallon E-170 Red Sea Max? Thank you

I have a toms ATO it sits next to my sump the sump was drilled right below the full line in the sump so once it gets low it just gravity feeds in ,a very simple set up , look into the cobolt
inline pump it has a auto shut off that works like the float in your basic toilet ,only a bit more high tech as it switches on and off by water level in the tank

Last edited:
Thank you. I would rather not use a separate sump underneath. I would then have to buy a new protein skimmer. Just need a pump powerful enough to feed water up to tank to fill the back of my tank and also regulate the time to fill.

Back
Top Bottom