New to salt water tank keeping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peetz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I am new to salt water tank keeping, I have had freshwater for 20+ years. I have a 39 gallon bow front glass tank with two clown fish one blue thing with a yellow tail, two cool looking light colored fish, a few hermit crabs, one green hair algae crab and two anenomies, the kind the clown fish don't like. Go figure. Anyway I have these two clown fish who the larger one just started biting the smaller one on the side of his body.
I read in another thread that's what they do when they are courting and it will stop, but she is really being mean about it and I am afraid it will hurt him. he has large bite marks on his side, how bad can this be?

Any advice would be appreciated. I really like these two fish and hate to have to give one away.

Welcome!

What kind of Clownfish do you have? Are they twitching? They should both be Clownfish from the same family, otherwise they will attack each other. I think the blue fish you are talking about is a Blue Hippo Tang, and unfortunately they require a minimum of 125 gallons. What kind of anemones do you have? There are pest anemones called Aiptasia, and there are regular anemones, which require an established aquarium and very high lighting. If you include pictures that should help us help you. :)

Thanks for joining!

Welcome!

What kind of Clownfish do you have? Are they twitching? They should both be Clownfish from the same family, otherwise they will attack each other. I think the blue fish you are talking about is a Blue Hippo Tang, and unfortunately they require a minimum of 125 gallons. What kind of anemones do you have? There are pest anemones called Aiptasia, and there are regular anemones, which require an established aquarium and very high lighting. If you include pictures that should help us help you. :)

Thanks for joining!

Na, it is is a yellow tail damselfish, I wish I had a tank large enough for a tang. The clown fish are from the same family, they are both ocellaris clown fish and were supposedly a " mated pair" when I bough them a month ago. This biting just started yesterday. The female seems to be a veracious eater and if she is hungry trys to eat him ! I know that is probably not what she is doing but sure looks that way. I think my two anemones are condy anemone but not sure. I got them a few months back. My tank has been set up for over a year but still learning. I had aptasia but it went away. I will get some pics later and post them. The clown fish have never shown interest in the anemone, my to my dismay.

Back
Top Bottom