Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to saltwater

Hi. My name is Matt. I recently moved from Michigan to Phoenix, AZ. I had a 36G freshwater setup which I had to dismantle for the move. I was able to sell my fish to the lfs. I am planning to setup a FOWLR. I have a Fluval 306 canister. I figure that will do for now. I thought to leave the bio filter in until they start to get funky then remove because the live rock will do their job. I will be patient with my cycle. I have a t8 17W 10, 000K actinic bulb. Depth of tank is 20". How much sand should I have? I was thinking 2". If I get live rock, do I need live sand? I would like to upgrade to a larger reef tank after I have sufficient experience.

mattlu636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome to AA! general rule for sand is 1 lb per gallon and live rock is 1-2 lbs per gallon. you dont need live sand the live rock will do the job and eventually turn your sand live anyway
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com