Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question New to saltwater scene

Hi i am real new to aquariums and saltwater aquariums period. I started a saltwater aquarium 2 months ago and since then i have gotten so many conflicting theory's. I have had a lot of problems with algae namley brown algae. I have tried everything but tearing my setup down and starting over. I've tried protein skimmers "dont work" dual filters "dont work" water changes vacuming i've done it. I have finally got the nitrates to lower levels thanks to "cycle love this product" hoping that when nitrates lowered algae will go -still here- adding calcium to hopfully lower algae and develop my coralline algae _still here_. I have what people have come to call a freak tank. Had 13 fish now down to 1 all went into hiding died, 4 crabs that i thought were herbivorous till one killed a fire fish 4 snails dead. What can i do to save my tank or do i need to tear it down start all over. I did not know at the time that certain rock would be good for tank. I put crushed coral instead of argonite rock, i reall want a reef tank but the live rock i have has been taken over by the brown algae "one word of advice do not ever buy saltwater fish,snails,crabs, or live rock from petco". Found out that all saltwater fish tanks there on all same filter so if anything is sick there all sick the live rock i paid $200 dollars for never had any growth found another pet store in town tried theirs grew like a charm till brown algae took it over. Can someone please help me with this crisis thanks ya"ll kerry

Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thx
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wink Thank

Thanks i loved your tanks do u know anyway to permentally remove brown algae in saltwater aquarium
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Do you think i should just give it up
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
Don't give up! I would post your questions in the SW section. There, you will get better answers as a lot of the SW gurus don't check this section.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome Klane!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Klane, never give up dude. This a much rewarding hobby. Its like alot of other hobbies you learn from your mistakes and you keep on going. You just have to keep doing your homework, you will get a lot of professional advice from here. Good luck
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears13 View Post
Klane, never give up dude. This a much rewarding hobby. Its like alot of other hobbies you learn from your mistakes and you keep on going. You just have to keep doing your homework, you will get a lot of professional advice from here. Good luck
Not bad for your first post Mr. Bucks Fan. :p

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com