New to saltwater scene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i am real new to aquariums and saltwater aquariums period. I started a saltwater aquarium 2 months ago and since then i have gotten so many conflicting theory's. I have had a lot of problems with algae namley brown algae. I have tried everything but tearing my setup down and starting over. I've tried protein skimmers "dont work" dual filters "dont work" water changes vacuming i've done it. I have finally got the nitrates to lower levels thanks to "cycle love this product" hoping that when nitrates lowered algae will go -still here- adding calcium to hopfully lower algae and develop my coralline algae _still here_. I have what people have come to call a freak tank. Had 13 fish now down to 1 all went into hiding died, 4 crabs that i thought were herbivorous till one killed a fire fish 4 snails dead. What can i do to save my tank or do i need to tear it down start all over. I did not know at the time that certain rock would be good for tank. I put crushed coral instead of argonite rock, i reall want a reef tank but the live rock i have has been taken over by the brown algae "one word of advice do not ever buy saltwater fish,snails,crabs, or live rock from petco". Found out that all saltwater fish tanks there on all same filter so if anything is sick there all sick the live rock i paid $200 dollars for never had any growth found another pet store in town tried theirs grew like a charm till brown algae took it over. Can someone please help me with this crisis thanks ya"ll kerry

Thank

Thanks i loved your tanks do u know anyway to permentally remove brown algae in saltwater aquarium

Welcome to the site!
Don't give up! I would post your questions in the SW section. There, you will get better answers as a lot of the SW gurus don't check this section.

Klane, never give up dude. This a much rewarding hobby. Its like alot of other hobbies you learn from your mistakes and you keep on going. You just have to keep doing your homework, you will get a lot of professional advice from here. Good luck

Klane, never give up dude. This a much rewarding hobby. Its like alot of other hobbies you learn from your mistakes and you keep on going. You just have to keep doing your homework, you will get a lot of professional advice from here. Good luck

Not bad for your first post Mr. Bucks Fan. :p

Howdy ya'll

Hey thanks for the replies. I have done everything people has told me read as many books as possible "learned even well noted theory in books and info from others more conflicting. For the first month of my aquarium nitrates was always in the red did water changes ect. Final bought cycle and it worked. But fish species still kickin the bucket. Also i thought by lowering nitrates in tank would take care of brown algae bloom. Nitrates almost 0 algae still growing. I dont overfeed only have 1 fish that survived a humbug damsel and 4 crabs and 3 live rocks. People are telling me water changes and vacuming "vacuming every three days" the aero bacteria would also help nada i've done everything eccept have a priest come bless it ^.^
also thought if calcium was high enough would kill it, it hasnt if i were in a bigger city with lots of ppl that has saltwater aquariums and better pet stores might be better, i wanted to do a reef tank cause i have never seen the ocean for myself, and that a reef tank isnt the real deal but as close as i'm ever gonna get. I loved it till i had an all systems crash we have a petco here and let me tell you all they are as usless as tits on a boar hog :southern expression" so come one and all give me some options i really want to get this going soon reason why i want to do this is in fact i'm dying and this is as close as i'll get to the ocean. I look forward to hearing any theory proven or not. Thanks again kerry

WELCOME TO AA :n00b:
Good luck with your tank--you can get to the ocean--don't all pipes/drains lead to the ocean? (My Finding Nemo reference is probably not accurate).
Posting Qs in the SW forum will get faster answers.

Back
Top Bottom