New to site!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all!!! My husband and I have had our 26 gallon bow front set up since last year. We love it, and so do the cats!!!
I am planning on adding a new tank. I really wasn't a cichlid tank, they are so beautiful. I have my eye on a 55 gallon starter kit but I Aldo have the option to get so large corner tank from a family member. I read cichlids prefer length over height so nog sure what to do. Any alive on cichlid card is appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Hi there, and welcome!! I have a 55 gallon with 6 cobalt blue zebras. They absolutely love the length, as it gives them more room to "run". Sometimes they will swim up and down the height of the tank, but not as much as they swim the length of it.. SO I would suggest longer rather than a taller corner tank. What kind of cichlids do you have in mind?

Hi! I really like the S. American tiger oscars. But there are several Africans I like as well... And I have read S. Americans & Africans shouldn't be mixed?? Really like the oscars tho, so prob will go with that!

Nice setup! I love the sinking ship background! Unfortunately, if you want to keep a tiger oscar, you will need at least 75 gallons for one. I don't know too much about them other than they get pretty big and can be very aggressive towards other fish.
It's not a good idea to mix SA cichlids with African cichlids because african cichlids require a high pH level, where SA cichlids usually need lower. It's possible to match them up, but it's not recommended. It's difficult enough if you factor in the aggression issue, I couldn't imagine trying to find compatible tank mates as far as pH goes. :)

Thanks, we are pretty proud of our set up! Sinking ship looks even cooler with bubble wand light on!

Yes I did read about mixing the Africans & S. Americans!! Too bad cause they're are some from each I like!!! I would love a 75 gallon tank, still searching for a good deal so you never know!!!

:)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390250858.518463.jpg

Back
Top Bottom