Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to site and Piranhas!

Hi there! I'm victoria and I have a 37 g tank with three baby red bellied piranhas they are about 2 and a half inches to 3 inches at the moment and I'm wondering if this tank is going to be big enough or if ill have to upgrade soon. I always hear about people having 100+ gallon tanks but I think that's a lot I'm asking for realistic responses! Pet stores told me this will be fine where I got them but a different told me I would need a 55 or 60! Please help as they are already growing so quickly !
Should figure out if I can post feeding vids up here!
Thanks guys!!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha3 View Post
Hi there! I'm victoria and I have a 37 g tank with three baby red bellied piranhas they are about 2 and a half inches to 3 inches at the moment and I'm wondering if this tank is going to be big enough or if ill have to upgrade soon. I always hear about people having 100+ gallon tanks but I think that's a lot I'm asking for realistic responses! Pet stores told me this will be fine where I got them but a different told me I would need a 55 or 60! Please help as they are already growing so quickly !
Should figure out if I can post feeding vids up here!
Thanks guys!!
Welcome to the site. I think you'll defitlany need a new tank. While 100+ is great I think a 75 or 90 would help you out. They love to school and the min is 5. Make sure you have plenty of filtration

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

When would be the best time to upgrade? And is adding new piranhas safe to do when these guys get a little bigger? Like is adding babies in risky? In my area baby ones are more common to buy then adults! Thanks so much again!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Red belly piranha grow huge. 12+". The growth rate slows down some after 5-6" though. They are a schooling fish and are more comfortable with larger groups. 100 gallon isnt actually big enough for a proper school. So anything smaller wouldnt work long term either. If its possible rehome them and look for wimple sp? Pirahna which max out around 6" or exodon tetra. If you're looking for a species only aggressive tank
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When would be the best time to upgrade? And is adding new piranhas safe to do when these guys get a little bigger? Like is adding babies in risky? In my area baby ones are more common to buy then adults! Thanks so much again!
No prob, and I would try to find some the same size or larger or grow out the babies in that tank. Little babies might be lunch. Well, as soon as your wallet allows is my rule for upgrading

10g saltwater
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

Welcome to the site. I think you'll defitlany need a new tank. While 100+ is great I think a 75 or 90 would help you out. They love to school and the min is 5. Make sure you have plenty of filtration
+1 for extra filtration these guys are messy
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Well I would love to upgrade to a bigger tank for them anyways! No way am I relocating! Completely in love with these guys! I just want to know when I need to? In a year? Or sooner? I was told 2 years by a fish guy but I don't know if he has experience! I had tetras before I find these guys more interesting! Would it be good to have two filters? An under gravel one? And a hanging one?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well I would love to upgrade to a bigger tank for them anyways! No way am I relocating! Completely in love with these guys! I just want to know when I need to? In a year? Or sooner? I was told 2 years by a fish guy but I don't know if he has experience! I had tetras before I find these guys more interesting! Would it be good to have two filters? An under gravel one? And a hanging one?
A hob and a canister should be best. I'm no experts on canisters though. I suggest to start upgrading when you fish reach 4-5 inches. What the widest point on your tank

10g saltwater
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #9

My tank is about 13 inches wide on the sides it's a tall tank compared to a long one; which a heard piranhas prefer the length over height!!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My tank is about 13 inches wide on the sides it's a tall tank compared to a long one; which a heard piranhas prefer the length over height!!
Yeah, they love to swim. I would upgrade for sure when they hit the 4-5 inch mark. Look for length got sure. I would say upgrade by the end of this year. You could add one more so it will grow with them just upgrade soon

10g saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Newbee! | Hello! »