new to site and to saltwater aqauriums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlgg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

My name is Luis, I'm from the Philippines, and am new to saltwater aquariums.

I am in the process of learning all there is to learn about starting/maintaining a saltwater environment, and would love to get going right away.

My wife and I fell in love with fish on our snorkeling trips to amazingly beautiful areas here around the Philippines in years past. Such beautiful coral, anemones, and the array of fish, anywhere from 2 to 5 meters depth.

We love animals, and have 5 dogs, a cat, 2 monkeys and birds. We also have some turtles multiplying in our expansive backyard somewhere.

I welcome all your advice and tips--cheers!

well...first I recommend going to your LFS (local fish store), and looking at what they have to offer. go to several. look at aquariums and livestock....it's best to plan what type of fish you want to keep first..make sure they'll all be compatible by asking your LFS. then...you can purchase the right equipment for what you want...if you do it the other way around, you may not get to keep what you really want due to lack of research on your part. I mean as far as....just getting one of the first few systems you look at. saltwater is awesome...it's all I do, and I love it. I kinda learned as I went, and have been fortunate enough to never have any major problems. I just made it through Hurricane Ike, and did it without power for 6 days, and no fish or coral losses in any tank. ....Welcome to the hobby. it requires much attentioin at first, but can be relatively lo maintenance later on. I hope it all goes well for you! happy shopping!

also.....don't rush it!!! if you do it right you'll probably be up and running with your tank, but fishless for at least a month. That's unless you want to cycle it with fish. I've done it both ways....but anyway, take it slow. A whole bunch of livestock added at once makes it hard to control your aquariums parameters (water condition etc.) I recommend a cleanup crew after the first 2 weeks...a partial one, then the rest of them a few weeks later. then slowly......fish, and or corals one at a time

Thanks for the immediate info. My local fish store gave advice based on what I felt were economic reasons--a whole long list of pumps, filters, and skimmers--quoting that I needed all these in order to get started. I am going to another place tomorrow which specializes in exotic creatures. I may be able to get better advice there.

Good thing I haven't purchased anything yet. An employee from LFS pulled me aside and offered to get me the exact fish and invertebrates, plants, live rock, anemones we liked at much lower cost, saying he would take it straight from the ocean, salt water and sand, rocks included. What are your thoughts on that? Will sea water need cycling?

Before you allow anyone to take something out of the ocean you better make sure it is legal to do. Removing fish, rock and corals from a reef is probably not allowed by just anyone. There are licenses and permits you will need in order to collect. Also I don't suggest this for the simple reason of you don't know what parasites or problems you will bring into your tank by pulling stock right from the ocean.

Read through the article section on this site and do some reading online. Most LFSs are going to try and sell you the cadilac version of the system you need because they want to make money. By checking things out online you will find better options. Shipping to the Philippines may be the biggest issue you run into from online vendors but it is worth a shot.

Deciding what you want in the tank will help point you to the correct tank size and equipment list. Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums is a good place to check out live stock and get an idea of their care requirements. Put a list together of the fish and coral you want to keep and compare their requirements and then purchase equipement according to their needs.

nanoluvr offered some very sound advice there so just seconding it.

I agree with Ziggy....I don't know about all that. But you will indeed need...pumps, skimmers, lights, ....the list is kinda long to get started. the initial investment is normally the most, then it's just a little here and there...nothing like you have to spend during setup.

just a tip right now before you buy anything. although it makes you spend more money the more water the easier!

Has any member of AA been to the Philippines? Done snorkeling or diving, seen our corals and reefs? Please let me know. If you have, you would be well aware of the amazing species found in these waters, our gorgeous multiple locations.

Got quoted by a LFS for a complete 50gal reef setup, Nemo Cast of characters (full), plus all equipment (pumps, skimmer, lighting) with home service initial setup--all for Php12,000 ($255). No kidding, a friend has already done this and is very happy. Sound good to you all?

Correction--

That price doesn't come with skimmer. Just glass tank and pumphead, filter.

Will got to this exotic animals market this week and take some pictures, which I will post here before buying anything.

good idea. be careful.....alot of gathered fishes in the Phillipines are captured by Cyanide fishing. the fish will need to be quarantined for about 2 weeks if possible in another, small aquarium to prevent any transference of anything funky to your display tank....you may be able to get them to isolate a fish for you at the store, where you can watch it for a week or so to see if it dies. alot of US aquaria fish are imported from there, unfortunately, about 30-50% die before they ever leave there, and then another 30% die in transit due to the unenforcement of the Philipines anti cyanide fishing laws. It's pretty sad. just be careful with your purchases....you definitely don't want to encourage this, so you may ask how they were caught.

Thanks for that info!

Yes you are right, catching of live fish here has been thru the cyanide method for decades. Those stats you present are saddening, considering the many that die unnecessarily. Yet one more reason that gets me thinking that taking specimens directly from the ocean, caught by hand net and harvested carefully, may not be such a bad idea. More difficult yet less harmful. If taken from non-marine sanctuary areas, or of species not on the protected list, this should be ok since it is not for commercial use, only personal. I do not want to contribute to the cyanide trade.

Back
Top Bottom