Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Good news on the nitrites What sort of values are you getting?
Oh, I thought I had been cycling longer - lol, looking at my notes I started the tank 19 June, and added 2 fem guppies 25 June.. That's only 2 weeks. Told you I was impatient!

I've been measuring ammonia regularly at 0.25 (water changing every few days to keep it down. Although a couple of days ago it was down to 0.1

And tonight I measured nitrite at 0.15 and ammonia at 0.1.. After a small water change. I'm so used to water changing.

I'll have to check the whole gamut tomorrow. Without a water change. Obviously the chemistry balance is shifting. Yay!

What do you think? I've put pregnant guppies in this tank, I know it's not ideal, but I've been vigilant about keeping the levels down.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds encouraging to see nitrites coming in and fairly quickly too!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Sounds encouraging to see nitrites coming in and fairly quickly too!

Indeed!!

I checked everything tonight, no water changes for 24 hrs.. Drum roll please...

Ammonia - 0.15
Nitrite - 0.15
Nitrate - 5.0

Blow me away! Those nitrates started kicking in the last few days I guess. There was no nitrate a week ago.

Now I'll be a chemistry lab for the next week or two while I figure out how this is settling...

Any advice welcomed while I move through this phase! I have pregnant ladies in the tank to take special care of
LolClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468406542.334739.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	287941

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How's ph? Sometimes that can drop more than you want during cycling.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
How's ph? Sometimes that can drop more than you want during cycling.

Hi there, I just checked, it's still 7.0
I check it each water change as our tap water is high ph, and I always need to bring it down.

What should I be aiming to keep my nitrate level at - I'm thinking 5.0 is ok, but will monitor it and if it starts rising to keep doing small wc - what do you think?

Thanks heaps Delapool.

Learning the aquarium way..
Old 07-14-2016, 01:07 AM   #16
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looking good. Ideally nitrates should be as low as possible and I've seen plenty of discussion on what that is.

For some sensitive fish 20 may be seen as too high, while in my planted tank 10 means my ferts is crashing. One member was happy with 80.

Personally for a planted tank with common, hardy fish I'm happy with 20. Either side of that I'm looking to make sure it doesn't drift too far away from 20 but not too stressed.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Measured the tank yest, and got nil nitrite, maybe 0.0-0.1 ammonia, and 5-10 nitrate. So it's definitely normalising, and timing is good too, as the mum as start dropping fry!

This is my second tank which has the males in it, do you kno what this growth is on the plants, a couple of these small spindles have grown on glass as well, and really hard to get off. I'm going to take to the plant with some scissors. But what is it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468815264.782922.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	288071

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It looks like a type of algae. I used to get it on my anubias nana leaves. They're a fairly hardy plant so i could basically rub them off. Not sure about what type of plant that is, but if it's a slow grower, be cautious with cutting parts off.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:31 AM   #19
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakatoo View Post
This is my second tank which has the males in it, do you kno what this growth is on the plants, a couple of these small spindles have grown on glass as well, and really hard to get off. I'm going to take to the plant with some scissors. But what is it?
It looks like BBA (Black Brush Algae). There's a good article on it here. It's hard to eradicate, but, along with what the article suggests, you might want to try a milliliter or two of 3% hydrogen peroxide applied directly to a patch of algae with the filter of for a few minutes. It's safe for the fish and seems to be effective. You can find several YouTube videos of other aquarists' experiences with this.

Also, I agree about being wary at cutting too many leaves, since you seem to have slow-growing plants.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you both!

Barliman that article was very helpful. While I took to the plant with scissors, it's a reasonably fast growing plant. I'll check out the peroxide option, seems like now it's in the tank, even getting rid of the plant won't help. All good to know, thank you both again!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com