New to site from Lake Elsinore, California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Billbug68 said:
I have a 10g and a 5g in our bedroom. I also just got a 55g used but it was in pretty bad shape. Been trying to figure out how to get the bad lime scale off the glass and the only thing to work so far is bar keepers friend, that stuff works magic! We originally got the 10 for my step son who wanted fish(I didn't) and now I'm addicted!

You have some really nice aquariums! And it is addicting!

Yes, I do Bill, I got some nice tips here to help the new tank cycle faster. It was fun and it worked great.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned stocking the two sharks in your tank. This will not work. As they mature, the tank will be lovely for one, but not for two. Their aggression levels with get crazy. You might think about taking one back.

Welcome to the forum!

Really? That's what I thought. I did ask when I bought them at petsmart and they told me it should not be a problem in a 80G tank. So far they are ok, we'll see in the future.
If he does not beheive he is going to the sump! Lol

It's quite possible that your particular PetsMart does not have knowledgeable employees in the fish department.

Hahaha yes it's HIGHLY possible! Or they just want to sell whatever!

Elpez said:
Yes, I do Bill, I got some nice tips here to help the new tank cycle faster. It was fun and it worked great.

So the tank IS fully cycled or cycling? We can help you with stocking once that's finished. I would seriously reconsider the sharks, but that's just me, I don't really care for them. Personally I like the looks of large schools rather than a few large fish. Your angels will get big, then you can find a few species compatible with them to keep in large numbers, you certainly have the room for it! :)

Not fully cycled yet since the last nitrites reading 2 days ago was 0.25.
Amonia is at 0 and nitrates at 10 ppm. Ph I am scratching my head now it was at 8 three days ago I added ph down today and my readings are PH 7.6 and high range PH at 7.4? so what is it? I'll do another test in the morning. I am using the API master test kit.
So angel fish would be ok with other schooling fish? How about cichilds?
I do like the sharks but not if they are going to be a problem. What do I do with them now?
Thanks

Sounds like its coming along well. May I ask why you're using the ph down? I wouldn't mess with ph modifiers, fluctuations caused by them can be stressful and typically your fish should adapt to whatever ph your water is. If you want other cichlids, maybe some Bolivian rams, and as far as schoolers, large tetras should be okay like blackshirts, just no neons or cardinals. I've been reading up on this lately cuz I want to keep two angels in my 55 whenever it gets set up. As far as the sharks, Petco always took in my fish, they just dump them there into that large tank in the center with all the plants, or if you have your receipt maybe petsmart will take them back.

Oh and also about the ph, mine would read the same way, darkest color on the low range kit and lightest color on the high range. I just figure it's 7.5? Haha.

Thanks Bill, I will look for those to see what they look like.
As for using ph down, when I started the tank the ph was at 8.2 or 8.4 since I used tap water to fill the 80G and here in CA tap water is hard. Since I read that 7 is ideal, I decided to lower it with Ph down until I start doing water changes. At that point I'll be using RO water from my kitchen filter where the PH is 7, so I'll no longer need the modifier.
With this RO filter I can only take 5 gallons at a time, that's the reservoir size. It takes afew hours to fill back up.

I do like the sharks but not if they are going to be a problem. What do I do with them now?
Thanks

1) Return to store
2) Place ad on Freecycle or CraigsList
3) Give to friend with tank
4) Place ad here in buy/sell/trade section (if able)
5) Contact local fish club and ask them for assistance in rehoming
6) Buy yourself a big butt tank!

Well! Could I say my tank is fully cycled? 0 amo, 0 nitrites and 10 ppm nitrates.
Time to add more fish! And I decided to keep both sharks, right now the red tail y chasing the h out of the albino all over the tank. It's fun to watch.
They stoped already.

Back
Top Bottom