Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to the app!

Hello everyome!
Not only am I new to the app but I am also VERY new to the fish world. I have never owned a tank until about a month and a half ago and bought a 55g. I have had it setup for two weeks and with fish or the other three weeks. I started with four pink kissing gouramis, five tiny tiger barbs and a pleco. I swear here the past few days I have had the worst luck! I lost my first tiger barb three days ago. Before letting him go I examined him for white spots or anything and didnt see a thing! Then yesterday I had a secound fish swimming funny. I got to llooking at him and he was COVERED in ich :/ I was beyond upset when he died last night. Well I thought the situation was over until I woke up this morning with the eight other fish covered in white salt like spots :/ I just started treatment tonight with the ich guard and I hope this helps. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear. I dont know much about my tank besides that I have an aqueon filter and heater. I did do a 40% water change yesterday before starting the ich treatment today! I am really hoping to be a very prominent member here and taking full advantage of this app. Thanks again everyone!!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398490867777.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	234931   Click image for larger version

Name:	1398490888431.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	234932  

Old 04-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh and all my fish are named after breaking bad characters and my tank will soon be "los pollos hermanos" themed

Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum nice set up!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum! Land of info. Good luck with your tank. You may want to go to Freshwater section & search 'ich'. Most people treat with hi temps (88 degrees), you increase slowly like 1-2 degrees a day & daily gravel vacuuming & 25% water changes. Also, do you have a liquid test kit?
We re here to help....
Old 04-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont have a test kit yet. I just been making sure I have been using the stress coat anytime I put water in. I did a 50% water chance and vacum on thursday then started the ich treatment yesterday. I pumped the heat up to 79 last night and will continuw to do that. Apparently they suggest not doing another water change until after the ich is gone. I havent lost any more fish yet. I got scared this morning I woke up to feed and I had a fish laying down still on its side. I thought it was dead. But its eating now! Is laying like that normal?

Old 04-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can be normal for some fish, loaches love to lay in ways that scare the crap out of you. But, for most fish, I d say it s not normal.
Vacuuming the gravel & water changes help remove the ich. Most experienced aquarists don t use meds, just hi temps & the above.
Would urge you to get a test kit & read up on fish in cycling. Read all of the stickies that pertain in the various freshwater sections. I was a total beginner 16 mos ago & if I hadn t found this forum I d never have accomplished what I have now.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah he is a pink kissing gourami. He is one of the ones that has the ich the worst, im guessing its just because he feels soooo bad.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know im soooo glad I found this. It has been Sooo incredibly helpful. I wouldnt have known half the stuff I do if I wouldnt have found it.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA! I would suggest that you get a liquid test kit to see where your water levels are. This will help tremendously in keeping your fish happy and healthy and feeling their best.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! Will do!

Tags
app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com