New to the aquarium hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm a 9th grader in SoCal. Me and my mom got my dad a 23 gal tank for Father's Day 2014. We have been loving taking care of it and the whole process of fish keeping and I am taking it up as a hobby.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407048928.535687.jpg
This is a pretty old shot, but nothing much has changed just a couple fish.

^National Geographic Bow Front 23 gallon^

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407048996.916205.jpg
Anubias (bottom left)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407049040.296090.jpg
Female Bumblebee Platy

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407049071.760928.jpg
Pregnant? Female Sunset Fire Platy

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407049130.315784.jpg
7 Neon Tetras

Pregnant? Female Sunset Fire Wag Platy

Female Red Wag Platy

Female Blue Mickey Mouse Platy

Male Red Mickey Mouse Platy

Male Yellow Mickey Mouse Platy

Male High-Fin Variatus Platy

Female Pineapple Swordtail

4 Zebra Danios (I know they should have one more, but one just died and they seem happy so far)

Mobile will only let me upload 5 pictures per post so I'll post the rest in the next posts.

NatGeo IFS-30 filter

NatGeo Heater

I am using the lights that came with the tank, but they are touch-button switches, which means I can't set them on a timer, and they barely work, sometimes they will turn on or off magically by themselves. I want to get a new light to replace these ones (there is a white and a blue LED option) but how would I do that? The tank is only slightly bowed and probably wouldn't fit most replacement lids.

Also, I have a 1.5 gallon QT tank that I am fishlessly cycling. I just started the cycle yesterday. I added some seeding material from the 23, then added 4 ppm of what claims to be pure ammo, and today I still have 4 ppm of ammo, but I also have >5.0 ppm of nitrites and 20ppm of nitrAtes. I am using the API liquid test kit, not the strips I used to use for regular testing.

Back
Top Bottom