New to the aquarium world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The local aquarium store said it was already treated (whatever that means) and all I had to do was to rinse it with water and put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Boil the wood to get all the tannins out could take a bit and do a water change your filter should take care of the rest

Ok. How long should I boil it? Should I also boil the one I've had for about 6 weeks? Thank you so much. I've looked online but didn't think it was an ammonia problem.

I hope my fish are going to be ok. Poor babies ate just swimming around looking at me.

No it's not ammonia if you think so do a test. It's tannins releasing from the wood. Boil it until the water gets dark dump the water fill with fresh and repeat until boiling it no longer changes the water yellow.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407438354.929812.jpg
I still feel like it has a yellowish tint but looks better than it it yesterday. Excuse the plant that I need to fix. I haven't put the wood back in because I'm STILL boiling it. I'm kind of scared to put it back in.

To me it looks slightly yellow but the filter will pull the nasty out. After the wood is done boiling it should be fine to put back in. Boiling is going to pull all the nasty out.

Thank you. It's looking better slowly but surely. I put the wood in my old tank (without any fish) to see how it looks. Thanks again!!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, tank looks really great! That rock you have will raise your ph, not sure if that's your intention? Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure if this has been mentioned, tank looks really great! That rock you have will raise your ph, not sure if that's your intention? Just throwing it out there.

Thank you Brookster!! Yes, that was my intention along with I LOVE the natural look!! I actually have three rocks but two of them are on the back and side of the log still holding it down. I really want some better lighting but don't really know how that works. Trying to research if I can add a light to my existing top or if I have to start all over. There is way more to fish tanks than I ever dreamed! Thanks again for the compliment.

I may know a thing or two about lights;) what kind of lid? Stock t8?

My parents bought us a 29 gal tall tetra all in one kit. The lights are very dim LED lights. Any suggestions?

Sorry I didn't mean to reply to the topic. I just installed the app and thought I was setting up my profile pic. Oops. But my tank uses a glow light. Makes it look pretty.

Sorry I didn't mean to reply to the topic. I just installed the app and thought I was setting up my profile pic. Oops. But my tank uses a glow light. Makes it look pretty.

Very nice!!

I've been a little but frustrated lately with my tank. I can't seem to keep my tank clear. It continues to look orange even after I clean to tank. I boiled my wood and I keep the tank regularly clean. I lost a dwarf frog and a kissing gourami while I was out of town for a few days. My husband fed the fish while I was gone, so I'm not sure if the gourami was bullied or not. I ordered new plants but they haven't come in. Thinking I need better lighting but don't want to spend a lot of money. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help!!

I may know a thing or two about lights;) what kind of lid? Stock t8?

Sorry to be such a newbie, but did you ever give me advice on the lighting? I'm thinking my lighting is one of my big problems.

I've been a little but frustrated lately with my tank. I can't seem to keep my tank clear. It continues to look orange even after I clean to tank. I boiled my wood and I keep the tank regularly clean. I lost a dwarf frog and a kissing gourami while I was out of town for a few days. My husband fed the fish while I was gone, so I'm not sure if the gourami was bullied or not. I ordered new plants but they haven't come in. Thinking I need better lighting but don't want to spend a lot of money. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help!!

Just a heads up, if you're going to be away from your tank for anything up to a week, the best thing you could do is leave it entirely alone.
Don't make anyone else feed it, don't make anyone else clean it, just leave it completely as it is.
Fish can go for a good three weeks before they get weak.

Back
Top Bottom