New To The Community!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Another Fish Guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!!

I've been reading around this site for a couple of days and finally decided to join. I'm not completely new to the aquarium world as I had a 29 gallon freshwater tank a few years ago. When I moved to a new house, unfortunately it wasn't able to make the trip, so I had to tear it down and sell the fish to a LFS.

My wife and I are building a new house (which will hopefully be done in September) and have decided that it's time to get another tank. This time around, I'm going bigger! I've been looking at a 60 gallon tank and stand combo or a 75 gallon tank only; both from Petsmart. I like the combo just because I wouldn't have to go find a stand...but I like the 75 gallon just because it's bigger lol. I'm thinking if I can get the 75 during their "1 dollar per gallon" sale, then I'd be better off doing that.

Anyways, I will be doing a freshwater community tank with maybe a couple real plants (so lighting isn't a huge concern for me). I will either be doing two AC 70s or two AC 110s for my filter (leaning towards the 110s just for added filtration and flow). I will also end up going with two 150 or 200 watt heaters for an evenly heated tank.

As far as other items, I want to add a bubble curtain along the back of the tank along with some decorations; but that will come later when I see what is available.

It's been a few years since I've done this, so hopefully I have a good start so far. I'm looking forward to this build!! September can't get here fast enough!

-Josh

Hi and welcome.

Only you can decide which tank. The general rule is get the largest you have room for, can afford, and can reliably maintain. For me that is one 29 gal with space being my most limiting factor.

Best wishes on your home and new tank.

Absolutely the thing to do. Take your time and get a plan. My new tank is supposed to come today, but over the past months I've gathered all the supplies down to picking up a couple of 5 gallon buckets on two days ago.

Of course you've come to the right place if you need any suggestions/reviews. I found out about Aquaclear filters here, for example. Of course you've already got that covered!

Absolutely the thing to do. Take your time and get a plan. My new tank is supposed to come today, but over the past months I've gathered all the supplies down to picking up a couple of 5 gallon buckets on two days ago.

Of course you've come to the right place if you need any suggestions/reviews. I found out about Aquaclear filters here, for example. Of course you've already got that covered!

I spent probably 3 hours on here yesterday reading about filters. I had an Emperor on my 29 gallon and never had any issues with it, but it never hurts to try something new; especially when I'm starting from scratch.

I realy enjoyed my last tank. I did the whole fishless cycle thing and did at least a 50% water change every Sunday. I wish I had some pictures of it...it was sparkly lol.

Yes, there's noting like a sparkly, healthy tank. Please keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom