Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new to the fish tank

Hi!

I have a 29 gal. freshwater tank. My first one. I have 3 goldfish which I will be giving away. My keeper fish are a peacock eel and an albino bristlenose placo, I will be getting others, though not sure yet what I will get. I have a piece of driftwood in the tank that I am waiting for it to sink down. I have fake plants and am using sand substrate. I have a hiding place for my eel. But he likes to hide in the sand. That placo loves the driftwood (so do the goldfish). I am eight weeks into my tank adventure.
I find the goldfish annoying because they eat the fish flakes so quickly. I was worried my eel was not going to be able to get anything to eat so I got some worms. I finally saw the eel chowing down on a worm tonight. I am afraid it is too big for the eel. My husband was teasing me and told me to make sure it doesn't choke. The trouble is I have make sure they are too big for the goldfish, and not too big for the eel. The eel is about 5- 6 inches long. The largest goldfish is about 2" . Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send the goldfish to a swirling heaven, joking. try feed the goldfish on one side of the tank and the eel on the other side

Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Don't tempt me on that swirling heaven solution Spiketooth. At any rate, they will be going to a new home tomorrow anyway...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Goldfish and tropicals typically do not mix well. It is a good thing you are rehoming the goldies.

For the eel just don't get fish that will compete for food. Stick with mid to top dwelling fish that won't scavenge the bottom of the tank.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you I like that advice. I will keep that in mind.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the family

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com