Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW
so does this combination sound OK? I thought I had researched these and thought they would go together
how do you find out about bioload?
The bioload is the waste output of your fish. It's not an exact science but is based on your weekly tank maintenance and you nitrate readings weekly. We know certain fish have higher waste outputs than others. Like neons have a small bioload but mollies and plecos have huge bioloads.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

are the cories schooling fish? I thought I could get just one. maybe I was thinking of the otocinclus. I did not want a bunch of them. I have a big ship decoration in the tank and was thinking the cories would keep it clean. do I need to worry about cleaning it? I don't want to be taking it in and out of the tank
also are all the tetras equal? for example are neon tetras the same as black phantom tetras or cardinal tetras? I like them all but know that I don't have room for all of them

Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

cories and ottos are schooling fish... the cories and ottos probably will clean it a little, but you'll still probably have to clean it. and no... tetras vary in size and behaviour. cardinals are similar to neons, and black phantoms tend to be nippy and need more space since they are considerably larger then neons.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW
are the cories schooling fish? I thought I could get just one. maybe I was thinking of the otocinclus. I did not want a bunch of them. I have a big ship decoration in the tank and was thinking the cories would keep it clean. do I need to worry about cleaning it? I don't want to be taking it in and out of the tank
also are all the tetras equal? for example are neon tetras the same as black phantom tetras or cardinal tetras? I like them all but know that I don't have room for all of them
Yes cories are a schooling fish and so are ottos. Cories are scavengers and ottos are algae eaters. If you have a healthy tank you won't have huge algae outbreaks so no need to clean it. Each kind if tetra needs a school of its own kind. So you can't keep 2 of one kind with 3 of another and 1 of a different again. Same with cories IMO. They need their own kind as well.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, so I think I get it. I have a plan but want to make sure I am not overstocking. can I switch scissortail rasboras for the cories? so I would have

7 cherry barb
1 dwarf gourami
1 molly
3 scissortail rasbora
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can switch the rasboras to panda cories and make it a school of five. BUT, you need to finish cycling your tank first. also... where are the platys going?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i cannot figure out how to create my own thread so im just hoping someone sees this...i have a new 55 g long tank currently cycling, decemtly planted mainly cambomba(is this okay for the shrimp?) and want to have ghost shrimp, fancy guppies, zebra danios, and another school of fish i was thinking corys or some sort of tetra i have another 2 to 4 weeks probably to make my decision any info will be greatly appreciated
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

@ bunzy... pm sent
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmolly View Post
you can switch the rasboras to panda cories and make it a school of five. BUT, you need to finish cycling your tank first. also... where are the platys going?
OK I know I sound like such a newbie, but that is what I am!!

I think I have changed my stocking plan again. I decided to move the platys into the 20 gallon like was suggested and move the Betta and Neons into the 5 gallon. Not sure what I will do with the 2.5 gallon - maybe put some african dwarf frogs in there? that is a whole different topic!! for now I am just going to set it aside unless I should do something else with it - suggestions??

as far as cylcing the tank - can't I do the fish in cycling method? if I do this do I just keep checking the water and do PWCs when my numbers get too high. what is the definition of "too high" when doing a fish in cycling? I know for an established tank I want the Ammonia and Nitrites 0. is this what I still want while I am cyling or do I let the Ammonia and Nitrites go up to .25?
Please help me out - I obviously need lots of advice!!

Oh! and I am having so much fun!! thanks everyone!!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to DenM
By now you have probably learned that fish that give birth to live babies eat their young. That being said, both of your smaller tanks are Great for keeping little fishies! Just make sure there are no bigger fish in there. As they get bigger, move to the next larger tank. That will protect the babies and also protect the well being of each tank. A dead fish should be housed in the Septic Tank!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com