New to the Fish World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HeatherW said:
OK I know I sound like such a newbie, but that is what I am!! :lol:

I think I have changed my stocking plan again. I decided to move the platys into the 20 gallon like was suggested and move the Betta and Neons into the 5 gallon. Not sure what I will do with the 2.5 gallon - maybe put some african dwarf frogs in there? that is a whole different topic!! for now I am just going to set it aside unless I should do something else with it - suggestions??

as far as cylcing the tank - can't I do the fish in cycling method? if I do this do I just keep checking the water and do PWCs when my numbers get too high. what is the definition of "too high" when doing a fish in cycling? I know for an established tank I want the Ammonia and Nitrites 0. is this what I still want while I am cyling or do I let the Ammonia and Nitrites go up to .25?
Please help me out - I obviously need lots of advice!! :thanks:

Oh! and I am having so much fun!! thanks everyone!!

I will link the guides for you on fishless cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

You'll want to test the water everyday and do a water change when ammonia or nitrite are above .25ppm. You want to keep it at or below .25ppm.

You'll want to test the water everyday and do a water change when ammonia or nitrite are above .25ppm. You want to keep it at or below .25ppm.

Thanks Mumma! I read those links. that was what I was thinking about the ammonia and nitrites. So if the water tests .25ppm I leave it? and if it is higher I do a PWC? just checking - I want to keep my tanks undercontrol and my fish happy

HeatherW said:
Thanks Mumma! I read those links. that was what I was thinking about the ammonia and nitrites. So if the water tests .25ppm I leave it? and if it is higher I do a PWC? just checking - I want to keep my tanks undercontrol and my fish happy

Usually if its at or above .25ppm IMO. If its .25ppm and you don't do a PWC by the time you do one the next day the ammonia will be even higher.

your new plan sounds good, except for the neons in the 5... that is far too small for them.

Back
Top Bottom