Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New to the fish world :)

Hi my boyfriend and I recently purchased a 20 gallon tall tank. I put white sand along the bottom along with plants and a few decorations. I have a 100 watt heater but I plan on buying one that you can actually see what temp you are setting it to. I have a Tera whisper ex20 power filter. I'm afraid we may have overstocked our tank we got a little exited at the store but I plan on upgrading to a 40 gallon eventually. We have a pale blue gourami, a dwarf gourami, 2 black Molly's, a Dalmation Molly, 3 big yellow neon fish, p(forgot the name) catfish, a sucker fish, 2 snails, 2 African dwarf frogs,and 2 ghost shrimp. Since we did so much at one time I know it's a lot on my filter. I've been doing 20% water changes every two to three days. But yesterday the ammonia spiked to 4 so I did a 50% change to try and get it under control. I also think my two black Molly's are starting to show signs of ich. It's a male and a female. He won't leave her alone its why I bought a female Dalmation Molly but he doesn't even look her way. But the two black mollys have begun rubbing themselves agains the gravel and what not. So I'm trying to get my tank up to 80-82 degrees to start the ich treatment. Anyways any advice? Hahaha hopefully im not doing everything wrong. Tank is a week old.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry to say but you made the same mistake most of us did and just jumped right in with no real research... First to begin your stock list is very bad some fish being to large for that size tank and temperaments that won't mesh well. Secondly your tank isn't cycled which could be the cause of the ich and the rubbing. There are articles on this site which will provide the needed information on how to properly cycle a tank and understand the nitrogen cycle. But welcome to AA and hope we can get you on the right track

Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya your tank is over stocked and you haven't cycled it yet that is a massive ammonia spike that could kill them all. You need to be doing 50% water changes every single day. And you need to cut back on what you have.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will get the hang of this, it all takes time and is a huge learning curve for everyone.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77
You will get the hang of this, it all takes time and is a huge learning curve for everyone.
+1 don't let your early mistakes stop you from continuing in the hobby cause 9 times out of 10 that's how we all began lol
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
+1 don't let your early mistakes stop you from continuing in the hobby cause 9 times out of 10 that's how we all began lol
Completely agree.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I know it's cycling. I started doing great amounts of research after all the fish were in there. I'm checking my levels everyday to make sure my ammonia isn't getting too out of hand. I know it's going to be a rough cycle with the amount of fish but just taking it one day at a time. As far as temperament with the fish everyone gets along so far. I'm a little nervous to do the ich treatment thou because it wants me to take out my carbon filter. Thanks for all the welcomes and advice!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was also wondering I bought this tank used and ii came with a top fin 20 filter but I had gotten a new one anyways. Would it be ok to use it on my tank as well?

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com