New to the forum..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmartin48

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just found this excellent site and joined up. Thought I would post and introduce myself. I'm josh from North Carolina and i'm 29 years old. I've alway's wanted a salt water tank and i'm finally in the position that I can take on the task. I've been research'n for about the past 3 weeks and i'm currently looking for a tank right now to start things off so i'll probably have a MILLION questions for everyone ;)

Welcome to AA! You may be up to the challenge now, but take a look at the cost of the stuff that you will need first, then decide. Saltwater equipment and supplies are not cheap, neither are the fish and coral. If you still want to follow through and setup a sw tank, we will have those "million" questions answered in no time.

Welcome to AA! Glad to see another North Carolinian in here with me. You've come to the right place to get started. There's a lot of knowledgable aquarists in here and they're quick to jump on your threads and offer advice and solutions. You'll learn a lot in here just reading through the other threads and links that are provided.

Welcome, the best advice is don't rush..the best advice I have received. If you know what you are looking for look on craigslist first there is some great deals on setups people are getting rid of. Even if the fish aren't something you are wanting usually you can trade them at the LFS. There is a local reef club that has great deals as well, the members are a wealth of information and things for sale.

One suggestion I would consider is the size of the tank. Don't think that because you're a beginner that a smaller tank would be better for you to start with. I initially bought a 29g tank with that thought in mind along with space consideration. I enjoy my tank but I wish I had at least had gone with around 40g to 55g to begin with. Of course this will cost more with start up because the larger the volume of the tank the more substrate, live rock, salt. ect. you'll need to purchase. With a 40g and up you won't be as restricted on the type and quantity of livestock you'll be able to add. Also, the more water volume in a tank, the more forgiving it is when it comes to balancing your water parameters.

thanks for the welcome.. I just bought me a 55g tank this week and i'm gonna get started on my stand today..

YEA WELCOM TO AA and lets get u addicted to this hobby LOL
55gal is a good start for SW tank!!!
good luck and let us know your questions~
don't rush tho, take your time~

Back
Top Bottom