New to the forum /saltwater community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone! Im sure in the next couple of months i'll be frequenting this forum a lot. Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted a saltwater aquarium. As a child I've had all sorts of freshwater fish and all sorts of sizes of aquariums ranging from a fish bowl to a 75 gallon. I've always been facinated by saltwater, but thought it'd be best until I waited until I was older and had my own income to 'dive' into the hobby. I've been doing several months of research and still have a while yet til I can get my tank, but i'm so excited its getting close! I cant seem to learn enough, its great. I log on just about every night and learn what I can. Great to meet everyone!

Welcome to AA! Very happy to have you here. Our SW guru's will be able to help you with any questions you may have.

Just wanted to welcome you to the best site to get all your questions answered (about fish keeping anyway) -- You will also make some great acquaintances :wave:

Welcome to the site! I got into SW from SCUBA diving and love it!

Welcome to AA!

This hobby is an on-going learning experience. I learn something new everyday. The best advice I can offer you is to ask a lot of questions before you make any purchases. There are folks here that have used just about everything on the market and you will be able to get first hand info.

:wave: Welcome to AA!

The best advice I ever got was on this site.
"Nothing good ever happens fast in a salt water aquarium"

Keep that in mind and never be afraid to ask questions on the forums here. Also, try to keep each post to a single topic so they all get answered.

While your researching post your equipment list or what you want to get so you can get some feedback. Learn from our mistakes and save much money in the process :)

thanks for the warm welcome :) When I get closer to buying everything, I certainly will!

Welcome! What do you have in mind so far for a setup? Along with what cmor said, nothing happens fast, so it is best to have everything planned out before you start! (plus we all have to live vicariously through you new people, setting up new tanks is one of the best parts about the hobby!)

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I just moved into a new house so its going to probably be a little while before I can get everything, but i've been doing several months research on equipment / care / fish etc. I'm thinking a 55 gal FOWLR set up. Not too sure on everything else yet. Probably start with a few clowns, a goby, cleaner shrimp etc.

What have you guys found to be the best place either from a LFS or online to get supplies (eg: filters, heaters etc) and things like live rock / sand? I was told I can get a lot better deal online for these things. I did find some decent deals at the LFS on aquariums /stands.

thanks again for the interest/ help :)

The lfs is the best place to get the tank and stand (if buying new).

For online retailers my two favorites are Drs. Fosters and Smitch and ThatPetPlace. Both have good prices (though not necessarily the lowest) and great customer service.

BigALs is pretty good and will price match (as will ThatPetPlace). I also use MarineDepot as well as several other smaller online retailers. I just bought Salifert test kits from a smaller place I had never heard of before, but they had the kits in-stock for less than anyone else, and they nearby so shipping was minimal with next day delivery (normal ups ground).

If you have questions about a retailer ask here. There's a good chance someone has used them before.

I agree with cmor1701d Drs. Foster and Smith were a real pleasure to deal with - I am new myself and ordered twice from them. Prices were very reasonable, products came fast and were well pack, and if there are any problems I'm told by members here they have great customer service

Holy Smokes - cmor1701d - 1701d - I just got it - Star Trek, the Enterprise - boy some days I'm just stupid :robot:

Man, I never got it either! Now it all makes sense!

As I've already been asking lots of questions so far and have have got a lot of great answers, I just wanted to take the time to say THANK YOU!!! :D everyone here has been so wonderful and helpful. Even after the months of research i've done, when it actually comes down to doing it you find you still have a lot of questions. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of it. thanks again for your continued help!!

anyone lurking reading the site, join!! :)

Hey Hi, welcome catmel! You're totally right about your last post. Every answer creates two more questions, lol.

Still, gaining knowledge is a one way street, you only go forward. The people here really know their stuff, and I trust what they say much more than anybody in a LFS for sure!

You sure you want to go SW? Maybe you ought to try your hand at a FW planted tank? lol.

Back
Top Bottom