New to the Forums, New Tank Owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corbear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I currently live in NC and I'm so glad to be a part of this community. I am very new to the fish world and need tons of advice. Other than a betta here and there, and all the research I've been doing over the last few months, I know absolutely nothing about fish.

I recently bought a 60 gallon freshwater tank with all decorations and equipment + fish (which I didn't really want but they couldn't find a home for them).

The fish included are:
4 Blood Red Parrot Cichlid (ranging 3"-5")
1 Black Convict Cichlid (3")
1 Gold Severum (6")
1 Panda Cory
1 Albino Cory
1 Yoyo Loach
1 (other loach not sure... maybe Black Kuhli?) Adult and 2 small ones that I can't seem to find anywhere
And THREE Common Plecos... 2 about 8" and 1 small one

Oh and my daughter had a couple mixed fruit tetras (after getting them I did read about the dyeing process and decided we will not get more) that we added in the big tank.

Everyone seems to be doing great so far, some little headbutts between the parrots, but I'm wondering if eventually the tetras will be harassed. I would like to get more black skirts, but it just seems there are too many fish as it is.

Hey Corbear! Sounds like a cool tank! Unfortunately, I only own a 10 gallon with 4 Cory Catfish, and a 2.5 gallon with a Dwarf Puffer and a Dwarf Crayfish, but the size tank you have the possibilities are endless! Hope that you have a good time with them, but I can tell you that if there aren't enough hiding spots, then the cichlids will be starting World War 3 in there! Also, Cories like to be in groups of at least 4, so I would suggest getting a few more, also they help clean up the bottom. Do more research and you will be successful!

Nils

Hi! I currently live in NC and I'm so glad to be a part of this community. I am very new to the fish world and need tons of advice. Other than a betta here and there, and all the research I've been doing over the last few months, I know absolutely nothing about fish.

I recently bought a 60 gallon freshwater tank with all decorations and equipment + fish (which I didn't really want but they couldn't find a home for them).

The fish included are:
4 Blood Red Parrot Cichlid (ranging 3"-5")
1 Black Convict Cichlid (3")
1 Gold Severum (6")
1 Panda Cory
1 Albino Cory
1 Yoyo Loach
1 (other loach not sure... maybe Black Kuhli?) Adult and 2 small ones that I can't seem to find anywhere
And THREE Common Plecos... 2 about 8" and 1 small one

Oh and my daughter had a couple mixed fruit tetras (after getting them I did read about the dyeing process and decided we will not get more) that we added in the big tank.

Everyone seems to be doing great so far, some little headbutts between the parrots, but I'm wondering if eventually the tetras will be harassed. I would like to get more black skirts, but it just seems there are too many fish as it is.

The Cichlids will most likely kill the smaller fish.

Parrots can be relatively peaceful or nasty depending on which parent they take after. They are hybrids. So Aggressive to Semi Aggressive. But can't always compete due to mouth deformities.

3 Common Plecos are way too much.
Even one will need a bigger tank. They can hit 2'. Rehome at least 2 if you can.

Decide if you want a peaceful tank or an aggressive tank and stock accordingly.

The Cories and Loaches can stay in a peaceful tank, but may get eaten or bullied with current fish.

Or swap out the nice fish and see how large your Cichlids get and whether you'll actually have room for anything else. You may not. One Pleco could stay for now, but I'd add a canister filter as they are poop machines. Cories usually lose eyes in aggressive tanks :(

The most aggressive fish you own is prob the Convict (??).

Severums can be nice. If I remember right. Semi Aggressive I believe.

But the rule of thumb is, any fish that fits in their mouth may get eaten...that's true of almost all fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I also live in NC, right near Charlotte, pretty cool. Good luck with the tank!

Thanks all! I would prefer a peaceful tank, and only took these fish because the original owners couldn't find a home for them before they moved.

Although, they have been fun to watch, keeping my daughter's two tetra's alive and happy is my main goal.

The convict seems to be the most peaceful of the other cichlids, but she is about 1/2 their size so that could be why.

I also thought 3 plecos were just way too many. I'm not sure I would even want one. :)

If you have the space, keep the Plecostomus. I love them and their looks. What city do you live near Corbear?

Nils

Hi, I'm from NC too. Close to Nags Head. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome! I'm not too far from Nags Head.... Elizabeth City...

The world is actually quite large, the internet would be a bit smaller I'd think..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom