New to the fourm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moparoot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help please, new to aquariums.

Hey guys how's it going? So here's the deal I'm new to the whole aquarium thing and I have a 55 gal fresh water planted tank with African cichlids, 1 convict cichlid, 1 angle fish, 2 redtail sharks, and 2 pleco. So my question is how do I get my tank perfect? Right now I have a brand new cascade 1000 canister filter that puts out 265 gph and I also have a kedsum power head that puts out 1850 gph and was wondering if that is to much flow for my tank? Any help would be appreciated A LOT!!!!!

Attachments

• 151302431751187667348.jpg
    151302431751187667348.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Welcome! So one of the most important things to a perfect tank is cycling it to start and maintaining a weekly or bi-weekly water change to keep water clean. Did you cycle your tank before stocking it? The canister filter alone should begood for the tank and i wouldn't use the power head with angelfish because they're slow and more delicate swimmers. Also I might try to remove a redtail shark because they get aggressive towards each other as they grow up but I think if you provide enough cover and caves it'll help. Also keeping a steady temperatureand light schedule will help too :) Cichlids seem to like brighter lights too! Hope this helped and make sure to ask any questions you have!

Welcome! So one of the most important things to a perfect tank is cycling it to start and maintaining a weekly or bi-weekly water change to keep water clean. Did you cycle your tank before stocking it? The canister filter alone should begood for the tank and i wouldn't use the power head with angelfish because they're slow and more delicate swimmers. Also I might try to remove a redtail shark because they get aggressive towards each other as they grow up but I think if you provide enough cover and caves it'll help. Also keeping a steady temperatureand light schedule will help too :) Cichlids seem to like brighter lights too! Hope this helped and make sure to ask any questions you have!
Thankyou I removed the power head but now I've noticed there is a oily like film on the top of my water now and this weekend I will be buying a master test kit because I have not cycled my water but I've owned the fish for a year.

Back
Top Bottom