New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pirahnaman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to the hobby of aquarium keeping. Recently learned my first lesson on fish keeping as I bought 6 pirahnas n ended up killing them off cause my tank wasn't cycled so they ended up effixiating themselves on their own pheces I am currently trying to get the process done before I go buy some more pirahnas. I have a 55 gallon tank which I still have a pacu, two plecos, and 5 ghost shrimp who was supposed to be food for my pirahnas the ghost shrimp that is. Wondering if that's enough as far as fish are concerned to complete my cycling process? After the first spike in ammo I noticed that the pacu and pleco are pretty resilient but will they service the rest of the process mostly wondering when the nitrite spike comes? Since everything in the tank is new but the gravel how long will cycling take, n how will I know when the cycle is complete? If anyone has answers to these questions or any other advice about raising pirahnas that would be greatly appreciated

Yikes!!!

:welcome::wave: Welcome to AA!!!

eeeeek!! I don't mean to sound mean but you are definitely in over your head, while river monsters are incredibly smart, beautiful and appealing they are very often wild caught and VERY difficult to maintain.... Not to mention for the stock that you want you are going to need a VERY large river biotope, or at the very least a 200+ gallon tank (think an inch of fish per gallon- and that's adult sized, not juvenile) and with amazon monsters it's even more than that!! One of my favorite riverscapes that my mom has is 700g and includes 3 pacu, a silver arrowana, a small arapaima (my mom wants it gone, though, it killed her gar) and a couple rays- it's an amazing set up, but even with her skills she struggles to maintain that habitat the hardest.

Who in the world sold you those guys, especially with you being so new to the hobby? :facepalm: It's not fair to you or your livestock!! I would suggest brushing up on your knowledge of Amazon monster fish and requirements and starting slow... With your tank size perhaps it would be a better idea to fully cycle and research in the mean time- if you are bound and determined to keep a piranha, try starting with only one and see where that takes you... Please take my advice and maybe do a google search for piranha care and maintenance and don't overburden yourself and become discouraged.

Good luck!! Be careful!!

Oh, and your pleco will probably be the only surviving inhabitant- shrimp are incredibly sensitive to nitrates, which will come after your ammo and trItes are at 0. Your pacu will probably not make it much longer without huge water changes daily along with some sort of bb enhancer....

Back
Top Bottom