New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldstar8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I'm new to the hobby but eager to learn as much as I can. My family just got a 10 gallon freshwater tank which we have filled with various types of community fish. All the fish are thriving except guppies. For some reason, guppies aren't doing well in our aquarium. Since we've gotten the aquarium, all of the guppies we've put into it have died, except 1. He's one of the original fish we put into the tank and is schooling with the others. We have some glofish danios, tetras, a couple neon tetras, a Dalmatian molly and sun fire platy. We just put a plecostomus in to help keep the tank clean. We put some live plants in for extra oxygen as well. Does anyone know why the guppies aren't making it? We've had the water checked, and the pet store said everything looked good, except for a slightly elevated ph level. They said not to worry about that because the water in the area is slightly high in ph and they use the water too.

welcome to the forum
was your tank cycled if not that could be the cause of your guppys not doing well
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I'm embarrassed to say no. We're complete novices with fish. We actually got the aquarium because my 4 year old daughter is autistic and we thought she would respond to the movements and bright colors of the fish. She really loves them and will spend hours in front of the tank watching them swim around. Now, the fish have really grown on all of us. My wife and I spend more time reading about fish than just about anything else. Lol
We put the guppies in at the same time as the glofish danios and the danios have done really well. I've read that the guppies would be a hardier fish than the glofish but it seems the opposite is true.

The cycling guides are your best bet to keep everyone alive right now. SeaChem Prime could also help in alleviating fish stress from ammonia and nitrite in the meantime, just be sure to follow the directions! It's also the water conditioner of choice for many to dechlorinate their tap for water changes.

Hello and welcome!

We also started for our young daughter, pretty much with zero knowledge of the actual chemistry that goes on in the tanks. It's been a wonderful journey.

Back
Top Bottom