New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dang88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guy, I’m new to the hobby, been doing abit of homework on both salt and freshwater setups and after abit of direction and advice on which to tackle in the way of cost effectiveness and maintenance etc. I hear horror stories as well as rewarding ones on both but I’m torn between 2 worlds lol. Can’t wait to hear from you guys. Thanks. Dan.

Hello and welcome!
Freshwater is most definitely the least expensive of the 2 types of aquariums and the easiest maint wise , unless you spend more $$$ to automate a saltwater system . It is still up to you which one you want , but I vote fresh .

Hey thanks for the reply, yeah I agree. After some thinking, digging and speaking with a few friends I feel as though freshwater is the way to go for me. Saltwater seems to be more for the exclusive hardcore hobbiest. Their considerably more beautiful but I just simply don’t have that kind of budget or time on my hands for that level of upkeep unfortunately being a working man with a family and other interests. Any more info yourself or anyone else might have in regards to set up, nitrogen, materials, filters etc. would be great. Cheers! [emoji106]

Just do a search for the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling . If this is your first tank I would look around on Craigslist etc for a good used tank of at least 20 gals . After you get it going , and decide you like the hobby , you can get a bigger or more tanks . The filter debate , HOB vs canister , is ever ongoing . I use both and both have pros and cons . Again , try to get something used but still in good order . If you are on Facebook look and see if there are any aquarium groups in your area . Good place for help , used equipment , fish etc .

Back
Top Bottom