Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhartigan View Post
I want to try live bearers sorry if I slaughtered the word but I want to see them give birth to live fry exciting I started a thread on ghost shrimp breeding have no clue how to and I want to
Watching livebearing fish is interesting. I recall watching guppies giving birth and then immediately spinning around to eat what just came out of them. The little cuties just weren't fast enough to make it down into the fry section of the birth box. I was just about 11 years old so I was pretty grossed out LOL! Every time I see guppies that image pops in my mind. It's been burned there for eternity!

Are you familiar with all the other live bearing fish? There are quite a few colorful ones.
__________________

__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
johnhartigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

Watching livebearing fish is interesting. I recall watching guppies giving birth and then immediately spinning around to eat what just came out of them. The little cuties just weren't fast enough to make it down into the fry section of the birth box. I was just about 11 years old so I was pretty grossed out LOL! Every time I see guppies that image pops in my mind. It's been burned there for eternity!

Are you familiar with all the other live bearing fish? There are quite a few colorful ones.
I'm new to the hobby so I haven't seen many of them but the thought of it is pretty cool:p I just don't want to over crowd my tank lol:p
__________________

__________________
johnhartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhartigan View Post
I'm new to the hobby so I haven't seen many of them but the thought of it is pretty cool:p I just don't want to over crowd my tank lol:p
Check out these colorful little livebearers (just for fun!) Endlers Livebearer, Guppy & Humpbacked Limia. Some other cool ones that are fun to look at are the halfbeak, orange tailed goodeid and montezuma swordtail.

If you want to aviod being over stocked, you could upgrade to a 30 gallon tank for your Mollies, and only keep 4, giving some leg-room (fin-room ) for babies. Or you could exchange the Molly for a smaller fish of similar appearance; The Platy. It only gets up to 1.5" and it is a livebearer. The minimum tank size for a shoal of platys is 20 gallons.

Definetely you will need another tank though; called a "grow out" tank. I have not bred fish myself, but have read about others doing it. They have the breeders in a tank, and after the babies are born, they move the parents to another tank to allow the fry to grow, so that all the fry don't get gobbled up by their parents
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
johnhartigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

Check out these colorful little livebearers (just for fun!) Endlers Livebearer, Guppy & Humpbacked Limia. Some other cool ones that are fun to look at are the halfbeak, orange tailed goodeid and montezuma swordtail.

If you want to aviod being over stocked, you could upgrade to a 30 gallon tank for your Mollies, and only keep 4, giving some leg-room (fin-room ) for babies. Or you could exchange the Molly for a smaller fish of similar appearance; The Platy. It only gets up to 1.5" and it is a livebearer. The minimum tank size for a shoal of platys is 20 gallons.

Definetely you will need another tank though; called a "grow out" tank. I have not bred fish myself, but have read about others doing it. They have the breeders in a tank, and after the babies are born, they move the parents to another tank to allow the fry to grow, so that all the fry don't get gobbled up by their parents
I was thinking about getting a breeder box so they can hide in it and ill check some of them out I want to get 55 gal but no room for it until I move:/ my dream build is a saltwater 150 gal with bamboo sharks and maybe a ray or two
__________________
johnhartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhartigan View Post
I was thinking about getting a breeder box so they can hide in it and ill check some of them out I want to get 55 gal but no room for it until I move:/ my dream build is a saltwater 150 gal with bamboo sharks and maybe a ray or two
That will be cool! Your dream tank I love saltwater but an too broke to have one One day
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
johnhartigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

That will be cool! Your dream tank I love saltwater but an too broke to have one One day
I was told my tank set up can be used for salt water also and I think I figured out why my Molly is coming out of his shell and exploring I was told water out here is hard as a rock so that would make it brackish water am I correct?
__________________
johnhartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
I am not 100 % sure on this question. I know hard water occurs due to high levels of calcium and magnesium, as well as iron. It has something to do with the dissolved salts from these minerals. But, I really don't know if hard water is in fact brackish. I know that brackish tanks require hard water to function, and just by adding the salt the gravity changes and the water is "harder".

Hopefully someone else with experience in brackish will post an accurate answer for you. I'd like to know too
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
johnhartigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish
I am not 100 % sure on this question. I know hard water occurs due to high levels of calcium and magnesium, as well as iron. It has something to do with the dissolved salts from these minerals. But, I really don't know if hard water is in fact brackish. I know that brackish tanks require hard water to function, and just by adding the salt the gravity changes and the water is "harder".

Hopefully someone else with experience in brackish will post an accurate answer for you. I'd like to know too
Yeah my Molly is loving it up tho so I'm happy still no test yet:/ I'm taking its not bad cause they all love it now
__________________
johnhartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhartigan View Post
Yeah my Molly is loving it up tho so I'm happy still no test yet:/ I'm taking its not bad cause they all love it now
Well that is great that they are happy campers! So you've been performing the pwc's?
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
johnhartigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

Well that is great that they are happy campers! So you've been performing the pwc's?
Started yesterday and after I do one they are happy with the gravel clean I had to skip one tonight:/ but ill start back up tomorrow
__________________

__________________
johnhartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef) mrbee2828 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 543 12-27-2013 01:50 PM
New project: 900 liters In Wall Construction luzze DIY Projects 35 04-18-2012 11:33 PM
new german blue ram blizowman1 Cichlid Discussion 13 03-09-2012 04:37 AM
Moved my tank by the window GodFan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 02-27-2012 12:43 AM
Anubias new growth showing deficancy Atxpunx Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 02-27-2012 12:23 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.