new to the hobby:p

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnhartigan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm on week one of set up if anyone has suggestions of what I should do or any questions for me and advice is always welcome thanks adhead of time !! Oh and my fish are 3 types of tetra one of each and a dalmation Molly and he's kinda worrying me he hides behind the heater or the down pipe of the filter and doesn't like to swim around to much Idk if they normally do that or if something is wrong, BTW its a 20 gallon marineland biowheel led kit, and I have 8 ghost shrimp (thought they are cool)

Welcome! Sorry your Molly is hiding by the heater. From what I have read about Mollies, the morphs (which is what you have) do better in slightly brackish conditions and will not live as long as well as being much more prone to disease if kept in freshwater that is not hard and alkaline. Also, your Molly is alone. Mollies are not schooling fish but are shoaling fish. The difference is that shoalers are social bugs with in their own species and schoolers need eachother to survive for protection from predators, eating habits ect.
Also, you said your one week in on your setup? Did you cycle your tank using old filter media? What did you do? If you haven't cycled, that could be the problem! Have your water tested for sure!!!

Glad your here! And best of luck to ya!!

Lovin Fish said:
Welcome! Sorry your Molly is hiding by the heater. From what I have read about Mollies, the morphs (which is what you have) do better in slightly brackish conditions and will not live as long as well as being much more prone to disease if kept in freshwater that is not hard and alkaline. Also, your Molly is alone. Mollies are not schooling fish but are shoaling fish. The difference is that shoalers are social bugs with in their own species and schoolers need eachother to survive for protection from predators, eating habits ect.
Also, you said your one week in on your setup? Did you cycle your tank using old filter media? What did you do? If you haven't cycled, that could be the problem! Have your water tested for sure!!!

Glad your here! And best of luck to ya!!

Ahh that makes sense but the funny thing is he was swimming around all playfully with the lights off and Im looking to get a API master kit today make sure everything is alright

Okay...if he's swims happily at lights out, IMO that means he just needs some of his own kind to socialize with. Definetely check the water condition, and if all is good, wait a couple days and then check it again. If it's still good, check again in a couple more days and at that time, if all is perfect, and he is still hiding, I would add 1 or 2 more mollies for him.
I'm still wondering something. Did you cycle your tank prior to adding your fish? If not you will have to be extremely diligent with daily water changes for a time to keep the condition stable.

Let me know how your water checks out;)

I'm in the cycle stage but they all seem happy but tonight I'm going to start doing pwc as much as possible and this arises another question when I do the water changes do I have to declorinate the water before I pour it in there (sorry if its a dumb question lol) and what kind of vacuum do you guys recommend?

Forgot to mention. You said you have 3 types of tetras and only one of each type? What types do you have? Tetras are also either schooling or shoaling species. For them to fair well and live healthy lives, they will need others of their own kind as well. Unfortunately they will not be at their best singly, even though they are all tetras.
The Mollies reach between 3.2"-4.8" and require a minimum tank size of 36" x 12" x 12". I read that mollies generally live between 6-10 months in freshwater conditions. So, that is something to concider too.
If it were me, I'd choose to either keep the tetras or keep the mollies and add fish that will thrive in the water conditions to which fish you choose. Don't get me wrong though, many people keep both. I just wouldn't. If fish are stressed they are prone to disease . The best way to prevent stress is to keep them in or as close to their preffered conditions.

Last edited:
I'm in the cycle stage but they all seem happy but tonight I'm going to start doing pwc as much as possible and this arises another question when I do the water changes do I have to declorinate the water before I pour it in there (sorry if its a dumb question lol) and what kind of vacuum do you guys recommend?

Hey there's never a dumb question! We all start somewhere and none of us jump in knowing it all from day one ;)

Yes. Always dechlorinate your clean water before adding it to the tank. If you pour the water in first the chlorine already gets into the system. Also, it's not completely neccassary but I do it just to keep the stress down in my fish. When I add new water I always match the temperature exact to that in the tank. I have two themometers on the tank. One down low and the other on the opposite side of the tank up high. I use the high one to match the temp. It's okay if it's a degree or two off. I wouldn't reccomend much more though. And it's always more of a shock if the new water is cooler than the tank water.

I would up the WC to 65% since you are in a cycle. Definetely do it everyday for awhile and check you water consistantly before each water change. You don't want to loose your fish. And for sure hold off on adding anymore fish until you tank is fully cycled. You can also add Stress Zyme or something similar to add good bacteria to aid in the cycle. You can also get some mature gravel from a friend or the LFS you bought your fish from to help boost the cycle. Of course, be sure there are no dead or dying fish in the tank you get the gravel from! You can put the gravel in a nylon hose and set it in your tank for a couple weeks. That's how I get my new tanks up and running. Works like a charm!

Keep a close eye on your fish!If any are acting off, check your water. I would do this even if you already changed the water and later in the evening things were looking bad for the fish.

Last edited:
I have a black skirt tetra a black tetra and I think a red eye tetra, so supplys I would need for water changes a 5 gal bucket dechlorinter and API master kit? And 65% water changes?!! Holy cow that's like 13 gallons give or take in a 20 gallon tank? And when I dechlorinate the replacement water should I let it sit over night? And this might be a little difficult for me ATM cause I have a kid and work long hours would it be okay if I did like 15 to 25 pwc daily?

I have a black skirt tetra a black tetra and I think a red eye tetra, so supplys I would need for water changes a 5 gal bucket dechlorinter and API master kit? And 65% water changes?!! Holy cow that's like 13 gallons give or take in a 20 gallon tank? And when I dechlorinate the replacement water should I let it sit over night? And this might be a little difficult for me ATM cause I have a kid and work long hours would it be okay if I did like 15 to 25 pwc daily?

Yes. You need all of those things. If 65% seems too much, go ahead and do 50%, but be sure and test the water BEFORE you change the water the next day to see where you are at. If it's dangerously high, do a 65% water change most definetely! 50% WC at least for the first 3-4 days, then do 25% for 3-4 more days, all the while checking the water before the WC. Remember, what you are doing with WC's is removing pee, poop and access food. Since your tank is not fully cycled, there isn't enough bacteria to keep your amonia and nitrates down. Also, do not over feed! In fact, you can feed your fish once every other day to keep their bio-load at a bare minimum. They won't starve, so don't worry. Definetely do not feed according the instructions on the food containers! Thats too much! Companies want you to feed a lot so you'll buy more ;)

So this is what I do. It works really well for me, but everyone has their own ways of fish care. I use a large gravel vaccum on the end of rubber tube and gently, but quickly move the vaccum in an up and down motion into the gravel, slowly moving from one end of the tank to the other. Sometimes I have to tap it to drop the gravel, but that's fine. Once you get the hang of it it is quite quick and easy. I keep doing this until 50% of the water is gone, then I dump most the water into the toilet and pour some into my house plants. They LOVE it!
-rinse out the bucket
-check the tank temp
-get the new water as close to the temp as possible (this can be frustrating at first)
-fill the bucket
-add water conditioner per directions (my fav is stress coat or Start Right; easy measuring)
- add Stress Zyme per directions to the bucket.
-Next, carefully and slowly pour the water into the tank. If you do it too fast you will have to rearrange the gravel and what not afterward and will cause anything you missed to cloud your water.
You will soon find after 3 days of doing this you will be better at it. After 7 days you'll be quite fast at it and able to guess the temp almost exactly! (still use the themometer though ;)) Really the key right now is to keep up the frequent water changes and testing the water prior to the WC. It might seem like a lot of work now, but it will be worth it in 2 weeks when your tank levels out and the cycle is complete.
I really stress that you should borrow some gravel from someone. Another thing you can do is squeeze mature filter media into your water. I have also done this to cycle a tank instantly in emergency situations.

I love black skirt tetras! IME though, if kept singly they get pretty mean. They calm down and squable amongst eachother only sometimes if you have 7-8. 6 is the bare minimum, but even then, mine were mean to other fish, until I had 8. If you want different colors, you can add White Skirt Tetras also because they are the exact species, just a different color. I would stay clear of the other color varieties of skirt tetra because they have been injected with dye and usually do not fair as well and have shorter lives. The color fades anyway and then looks pretty weird. Is the black tetra a black phantom? They are very much like the skirt tetras far as personality goes. They also require to be in a shoal of at least 6, better 7 or 8. I am not familiar with the behavior of the red eye tetra, but I would guess it also requires to be in a shoal 6+.

And I just did a roughly 50 to 60 pwc right now and it was kinda fun but I don't have any money for a test kit because I just lost my job:/

Oh its okay ill have to work with what I got and that means no master kit:/ cross your fingers!!!!

Is your LFS close? If it is, you should ask them to test your water. Mine does free of charge for costumers who've purchased fish. It's worth a shot! At least to test the water tmorrow and then again in 2-3 days (of course mainting the daily 50% WC!)

And I just did a roughly 50 to 60 pwc right now and it was kinda fun but I don't have any money for a test kit because I just lost my job:/

Good! I love WC's LOL! I hate cleaning cat boxes, shoveling dog poo and horse poo, but I love cleaning up after my fish!!! :rolleyes:

Lovin Fish said:
Good! I love WC's LOL! I hate cleaning cat boxes, shoveling dog poo and horse poo, but I love cleaning up after my fish!!! :rolleyes:

It was my first one I got a vacuum thing and its awesome:D

Lovin Fish said:
Is your LFS close? If it is, you should ask them to test your water. Mine does free of charge for costumers who've purchased fish. It's worth a shot! At least to test the water tmorrow and then again in 2-3 days (of course mainting the daily 50% WC!)

Yeah its about a mile away and what should I take the water in?

Yeah its about a mile away and what should I take the water in?

I just put about 1 1/4-2 cups tank water into a zip lock bag (never used!). I label the bag and keep it with the tank for future Water tests at the lffs. I am anxious to hear what your water looks like! At least you have the more hearty fish! :)

It does sound like your molly needs friends... I'm interested to see what your water is too... I have 6 mollies in my 29g freshwater tank with a female betta and they're doing great... Brackish water is controversial.. Their are opinions on either side... I personally don't do it because my fish have been happy in pure dechlorinated water.

Back
Top Bottom