New to the saltwater hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I had been doing the fresh water on a small scale (20 gal) for a few years and always wanted to do the salt water setup. So I was able to get all the stuff a few days ago and here I am. Found this site to be very useful so decided to join the community to get few questions answered and research.

Welcome to AA and the salty side :D. What are your plans for the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am planning to setup a FOWLR tank. It is a 45 gallon tank. I already got 50 lbs of cured live rock from my LFS, 20 lb live sand, 2 koralia nano 425 gph, 1 aqueon pro 200 watt heater and API Filster XP-M canister filter. There are alot of folks who suggest not using the canister filter altogether and if used only use it as a chemical and mechanical with rigorous cleaning schedule. I am thinking of not putting it online and see how my tank cycles. Right now there is nothing in my tank except rock and sand.

I am planning to go slow and thinking of having blue-green chromis (2 or 3), clown fish (i dunno 1 or 2) to start with. May be later a few easy corals (I know I may have to get a etter lighting; right now I have the basic florescent light with the hood).

don't even waist your time till you get better lighting to think about coral
couldn't have said it better (take it slow)
unless you plan on cleaning the canister often I would stay away
we have a good article in the group archive about cycling

Thanks for the advice. I am checking all the articles I can get my hands on about cycling. Quick question. When should I be able to detect Ammonia in my tank? (few day after or week?) I am not putting any fish food i nthe tank. Should I or the existence of live rock and sand is enough? (to kick start the cycle)

you need to use a ammonia source weather it be straight ammonia dosed to 4.0ppm
or add a dead deli shrimp

I have been researching building a refugium sump for my freshwater tank. Once I have mastered the freshwater discus I plan on moving on to a saltwater setup. Sump seems like it has many advantages over canisters (I have 2 canisters in my current tank)

Surfnturf
img_3112600_0_d852cf44d31437630f21c54efdb339b5.jpg

1 discus
1 dwarf gourami
1 german blue ram
1 pictus cat
2 golden wonder killifish
4 harlequin rasboras
5 corydoras
And a bunch of plants in a 20 long
Eheim 2213 and tom aquatics canister filters
Finnex planted plus