New to the Scene!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howkie10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the aquarium scene. I have a 55 gallon tank with all the necessary equipment to run an aquarium. However, I'm struggling to decide on the type of aqaurium I want. I would prefer one that is freshwater, easy to maintain and care for, includes plant life, and allows for a variety of fish. Should I use sand, gravel, or some other substrate? What kinds of plants? Suggestions on fish species? Other tank decor ideas?

Any advice will help!

Thanks!

Hooray for planning and research!

Your substrate will depend on your critters, and your plants will depend on your lighting.

Grab an API master test kit and some Seachem Prime. They are close to necessary.

If you want low maintenance, test your tap water pH and hardness. You will want to find fish that will thrive in that environment.

Community tanks are wonderful. There are many different ways to approach them, so think about what your ideal population would look like. Active? Colorful? Sparkling? Peaceful? Most fish (correct me if I'm wrong) prefer live plants, so that's a positive.

Some low to moderate light plants that are easy to care for include wisteria, anubias, java fern, and hornwort.

Welcome to the community and hobby!

Thank you for your input! Much apprrciated! Looking forward to getting started.

Hi, welcome :) There are a build/share threads going which may help (although I find I just want more tanks then..)

Back
Top Bottom