Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would advise you against the bristlenose, like someone said before they grow out of a 10 gallon. But, I've had mine for about 6 months now and he is still within the 10 gallon size range, so if you're planning on upgrading that should be fine.

I would recommend otos, they stay quite small and although I've never kept them, I hear they are fun to watch. There are also some really cool varieties out there (my favorite is the zebra oto) that you might be able to get your hands on if you look hard enough.

To be honest, I would take back your zebra danios as well. Even though they are small, they need a lot of swimming room (at least a 20 gal) and if not, they could become aggressive. I made the mistake of having 5 in my 10 gallon once too, and the biggest guy slowly drove the rest to death from badgering. They just would thrive in more space.

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? A centerpiece fish, a school, or bottom dwellers?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359 View Post
Cories would not be suitable in a ten gallon. Like you said they go from 4-6 inches. They are also super active so I suggest a 20 gallon minimum.
I was thinking more along the lines of panda or dwarf cories as they stay under 2 inches. I said the SAE would get 4-6 inches and they do fine by themselves so there size should be ok

agwats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

also, new2guppy, you should make your own thread. It gets a lot more attention and more people can help you with that issue when they see you personal post
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

also pitbull plecos are around 2 inches fully grown and are good algae eaters and interesting little fish
Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwats
also pitbull plecos are around 2 inches fully grown and are good algae eaters and interesting little fish
No their not. They grow to 5 inches fully grown, and need a 30 gallon minimum.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #26

I've never heard of them growing to 5 inches. (Not saying it's wrong, just always thought they grew to around 6 cm) I agree with Homedog. I've heard of them being kept in 15 gallons, but they seem to thrive more in a 30 gallon. Maybe your thinking of otos.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

i've always heard 2-3 inches max but as far as tank size 10gal is prolly a little small but i've been told they do quite well in a 20. either way i think a couple otos would be your best bet.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwats
i've always heard 2-3 inches max but as far as tank size 10gal is prolly a little small but i've been told they do quite well in a 20. either way i think a couple otos would be your best bet.
Definitely. I second ottos!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright, I heard for the longest time that danios and platys were good for 10g, but a few days ago I heard the same thing. It would explain a lot as the danios are very aggressive and the one platy is even more so (probably explains how the little one has a chunk of his tail missing). I don't know if petco will take fish back though, especially if I've had them for a while.

But if I am able to take them back I'll probably take them all back (as I said the platy is the most aggressive and sometimes won't let the danios eat). What should I get then, keep in mind that it's petco so I might need a few options, also I keep leaning towards shrimp are they much harder to care for or do they usually just end up as food.

I'd like to have a small school of fish along with a clean up crew of some sort and maybe one small sized show fish
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #30

How about this:
6 neons
3 ottos
1 betta
However many shrimp you want.
They are easy to care for, near impossible to breed, good cleaners, small bioload, fun to watch.

Tags
advice, diy driftwood, driftwood, stocking, stocking 10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com