Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

a dwarf gourami would be good, they are really pretty. I'm not sure about the rasboras, but I think you could get away with a school of small rasboras, like the cherry ones. A good site to check is aqadvisor.com they have a detailed list of fish and you can see if they are compatable, if the size of the tank is ok and what kinds of ph or temp your tank should be at. The stocking allowance is on the conservative side, but it is a good way to check in with your possible stocking ideas.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guppy
Once I get my 20galL cleared of bacteria bloom, I have 6 fancy guppies, 2 corrys, would ottos be ok for algae and get along with my fish family. They just play and get along so well. I don't want to add anything not right!

Thank You Lauren....my oldest granddaughter's name...good name!
new2guppy
No problem! I'd say you'd be fine with a few ottos... Maybe 3? I do suggest you think about adding 4 more cories to the list... Because they school.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Newbie

on corry's and ottos

I read where you should add no more than 2 fish at a time. I will be keeping a few of my new babies (only have 3 as rest escaped from a dumb design breeder tank, have new one now!) & as they come along once I know there sex & how pretty they are. No more than maybe 3 or 4 more. With this & 4 more corry's and 3 otto's be to many for 20 gal L? Do I really need algae eaters? When shoud I add new fish? After I get the bacteria bloom fixed? Sorry for all the questions. So appreciate the help!! new2guppy
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow that site helps so much. I was looking for something like that for the longest time.

What would be the problem with keeping rasboras though? And do plants add to the bioload?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
What would be the problem with keeping rasboras though?
I'm not sure what you mean...there are a lot of different types of rasboras, ranging in all sorts of sizes. You could get a school of small rasboras, like I said the cherry ones stay really small (under an inch).
I'm seeing that you could do a school of 5 cherry rasboras, 1 dwarf gourami and 3 otos and have a perfect bioload.

Plants don't add to the bioload, in fact they do a lot to regulate the ammonia process. They get nutrients from the fish poopie. But that's not a reason not to vaccum or clean the gravel! lol.

PS aqadvisor is awesome! But like I said they're very conservative on stocking. So you might be able to get away with more if you keep up on water changes.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

I find more often than not, when a fish dies, it has less to do with water parameters and more to do with it being unhealthy from the LFS.

Some might not agree but I've seen fish big and small that can withstand a typhoon, some uncycled water wouldn't phase them in the least unless it was messed up bad and I mean bad. Fish are adaptive creatures, they are stronger than we think.

Buying fish at the LFS is like a craps shoot and no matter how cautious you are, you never know what the health of the fish is. Now I automatically make the assumption that the LFS fish has got something and proceed with lots of TLC. I suggest before you buy a fish to stare at it in the tank for at least 5 mins or more to really observe it's any unhealthy patterns. Look for hardy energy levels and activeness.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

is a school of 5 too small? what is a good schooling size for rasboras?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

5 should be just fine. You could do a few more, but 5 is the minimum.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular

and everyone keeps on saying ottos, but from what ive heard they die rather easily within the first month. are they exceptional cleaners or do they just eat algae? because ive been thinking of shrimp and they would eat the algae and clean the leftovers.

right now im thinking:
6-8 harlequin (or other small) rasboras
1 dwarf gourami
5-10 ghost (or other) shrimp

all depends on what the store has when i'm there
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

yup. the store is always the last word!

shrimp are a good idea, their bioloads are so small and they are good cleaners. If you wanted you could do 3 of shrimp and otos.

What I do when getting fragile fish is find out when the fish store gets their shipments, and go in a few days after that, or even the day before. That way, the weakest ones have died already and your choices are of the hardier ones. But its all up to you!

Tags
advice, diy driftwood, driftwood, stocking, stocking 10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com