new to the site, 10 gal. tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobaltskyy said:
Awesome idea! That's what I will do! I wanted to get more real plants and swap out the silk ones anyways. :) I want to add a flower pot too... :)

Thanks! It eliminates his territory, so he doesn't have anything to protect when the new guys go in, and since they're already in, he's more likely to accept them.

O this thread is helpful. IME ottos are great diatom eater! I had diatoms in my tank and they cleaned them up in 2 days! :) the trick in keeping ottos alive is to acclimate them properly and slowly!! I did the drip Acclimation! At about 1-2 drop per second until the water volume doubles , I then remove half the water the repeat the process but this time increasing drop rate to around 3-4 dps! The whole process took me over 3.5 hours and I also left the lights off for 3 hours after adding them into the tank. Ottos are also sensitive to ph fluctuation and high nitrate level. My 3 ottos has being in my 10 gallons with a male betta for more than 1 month now and they are doin well! :)

O forgot to ask is urs a planted tank? Because ottos prefers planted tank as they are quite timid in nature and feels safer with plants as they can hide. And trust me they are good at hiding! Haha

Yeah it's planted. I have one big plant that I don't know what it is and then two compactas that I split from one of those tubes. I think I'm gonna hold off on the new fish for a while though because I'm going through my first noticeable algae bloom. Any advice

milooo said:
Yeah it's planted. I have one big plant that I don't know what it is and then two compactas that I split from one of those tubes. I think I'm gonna hold off on the new fish for a while though because I'm going through my first noticeable algae bloom. Any advice

What kinda of algae? Post a pic of ur plants. People here are good with IDing. Also post a pic of the algae.

The algae is a grass green and sort of looks like mold on the rocks now, but it is just fogging up my tank really bad really fast. Can water borne algae kill fish? I'll post some pictures in a bit

Well I ask because my platy looked like he was coughing and I saw him completely freeze up two days ago, like it was having a stroke, it's fine now though.

milooo said:
Well I ask because my platy looked like he was coughing and I saw him completely freeze up two days ago, like it was having a stroke, it's fine now though.

Hmm what's Ur water parameters? I highly doubt and never heard of algae killing fishes.

if you get driftwood thats not from the pet store, you have to boil it in a saucepan to sterilize it. id get a pleco.. dont gotta feed it and it eats algae

i think you still need to feed plecos especially if there isnt a ton of algae. and yea i know, first thing i do with the wood is debark it and boil it, havent put any in a tank yet despite the amount i am making.
also i think that it might be a bacteria bloom because i just switched the filter media a few days ago. also would a rise in temp cause anything bad to the water. i cant really control it but im pretty sure that is why my fish were so agressive before, they r eating a lot more now too. yea but my tank went from around 74 to probably 82 or higher in the day. my dad wont put in the AC and i cant because i have a broken collar bone.

this is my tank. it does not look half as foggy because i just did a water change a few hours ago. the green algae on the white rock is just the easiest to see but those little spots are all over everything, rocks, gravel, plants, ect.

Attachments

• 2011-06-10_22-43-59_443.jpg
    2011-06-10_22-43-59_443.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 2011-06-10_22-44-21_100.jpg
    2011-06-10_22-44-21_100.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 2011-06-10_22-44-08_451.jpg
    2011-06-10_22-44-08_451.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 2011-06-10_22-45-31_383.jpg
    2011-06-10_22-45-31_383.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 65
Aww what a cute Platy :) I would suggest getting at least one more as I've heard they like to be in pairs or small schools. Is it a Mickey Mouse? Looks like one in the pic. YOu could probably fit a Betta in there as a "centerpiece" fish. Just make sure he/she has his/her own little personal space. As Homedog said since you already have the other fish in there he/she will most likely won't be as aggressive. Good luck!

Yeah I had another one before but he died a while ago. The platy is a sunrise I think it is and was one of the first fish in the tank. It's actually helping a lot by eating the algae off of the plants.

If anyone knows what that second plant is (I think it is actually two different kinds rolled up into one pot) I would love to know.

It looks like some sort of sword or anubias... But i'm no plant expert lol. Whatever it is... It looks happy!

Well I know it is two different plants in one pot but the tag for it had eight different scientific names so I have no clue

i have a normal pleco and they do get big. one more thing about them, is that the bigger they get, the less actuall algae they eat. they go after you flakes and algae pellets/disc. they get lazy sort of speak and then you have to fire them on the job.lol....
i was told chineese algae eaters. they stay BZ and work over time plus some ghost shrimp. not crawdads, but shrimp. crawdads eat your live plants and they shed waaaayyyyy to much.

I hand feed my pleco cucumber, zucchini, cantaloupe, apple, mango. The clown loaches like it too. I have an oto that takes care of the algae but the pleco still puts in his days work at 5 inches, no algae in sight.

yeah i think im gonna wait a bit to get any new fish. also i might keep the platy, it had its bottom fin torn off partially so i cant give it away, but i might still get rid of the danios.

Back
Top Bottom