Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to the Site!

I am so excited to be on this site and can't wait to learn lots! I currently have a 20 gallon tank that I am cycling. At first I didn't know anything about cycling and listened to a store clerk who told me to just dump some fish in. I got fish, and then learned about the cycle. I feel bad for killing a lot of them, but most of them I re-homed. Trying to cycle my tank some other way, I did the fish food method, which didn't turn out well. I had a huge pond snail population explosion and got these little worms in my tank. Now I think that I'm going to go with the ammonia method. Hopefully everything will work out.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to the site. Make sure you use a ammonia calculator. When using the calculator have a set ammonia reading that you would like it cycled to. Like when I did my saltwater tank first cycle I dosed it to 4ppm of ammonia and waited until it was at 0 ppm ( could take days) but after awhile I could take 4 ppm of ammonia and get rid of it in 12 hours and nitrites would be gone in 24 hours. I ended up doing a huge water change to get the nitrates levels down to a safe level.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, I need to do some research before I decide to put the ammonia in though. Do you know a good site for an ammonia calculator?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com